Royal Navy welcomes Indian Navy to Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Passed-over_Loggie, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Truth Central,yesterday; except it wasn't there yesterday (i'm sure the PR buggers update the Site at 2359 each day).

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...e/RoyalNavyWelcomesIndianNavyToPortsmouth.htm

[​IMG]

My eye was particularly caught by;

That's going to be a surprise for some lucky Tar! INS BEAS (as per the piccie), 3,850 tons and Complement of 400+ compared with HMS NORTHUMBERLAND, 4,900 tonnes and Complement of 185. I hope he/she likes company!

You wouldn't think a hardened up LEANDER Class would have enough upper space for all those Liferafts, would you?

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Ugly looking thing isn't it, looks like the bast*rd offspring of a Leander/42/22 mongrol.

3. Does anyone else think that it is incredibly significant that they are exercising up here s opposed to us going down there - significant as one of the worlds new developing super-powers is extending its global reach, and realising how useful sea power really is. Wish our lot of fu*king idiots would wake up and realise.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

WBD: Not that significant - unless you're a conspiracy theorist - other than maintaining the 'entente cordiale' that our two nations have...

5. He is right that India probably realises “how useful sea power really isâ€, unlike our “idiotsâ€. It is interesting that the IN outnumber us with offensive hulls in the water; an Aircraft Carrier, 8 Destroyers, 13 frigates, 24 Corvettes, 6 Patrol Vessels (over 1,500 ton, each) and 16 Diesel Submarines. It’s 4 years old now but http://www.marinetalk.com/articles-...pports-Local-Shipbuilding-xxx000110321OT.html

6. I don't mean conspiracy theories. I'm more pointing out how different their World View is becoming (yeah I thikn it warrents capital letters ;) ) that they want to exercise 'here' as opposed to 'there'

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Expansion of the PLA(N) (Chinese navy) must have given the Indians furiously to think. This visit is also (perhaps) saying that the IN has begun to cultivate global reach. Also, some other signs already that India is beginning to see the Indian Ocean as Mare Nostrum. Come a long way from the East India Company's Bombay Marine.

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Wasn't that the bloke who made all those predictions? :wink:

9. I thought it was a dead cert for the 2:30 at Haydock.

10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Does anyone else think that it is incredibly significant that they are exercising up here s opposed to us going down there - significant as one of the worlds new developing super-powers is extending its global reach, and realising how useful sea power really is. Wish our lot of fu*king idiots would wake up and realise"

So the large task group and permanent east of suez presence isnt good enough for you? Its the first time they've made it here for several years - we're able to keep vessels off the Indian coast daily without even thinking about it.

11. Nope, it's not Twiglet, I want more, more MORE. But 'sea blindness' is a debate for another thread :D

What I meant was more along Seaweeds point I just chose an awful way of putting it :)

12. No, it was his mum!

13. A very large airline, which operates more 747s than any other, often sends these to India for heavy repairs.
    The Indian engineers can fix things that western engineers would bin. Log book lists of non desperate faults are generally cleared when an aircraft departs an Indian station.
    Pity about the look of the ship as the Leanders had a certain elegance about them; but look at our latest top heavy crop!
    I hope the people of Pompey look after these guys and at least leave them the cab fare in their wallets 8O

14. Just remember to lock up your bicycle :lol:

15. Any of ours been invited onboard for a curry and arse night?

16. Ok mateys I'm packing it in on this thread as I don't like the way it's going.

17. When the last IN task group was here for T200, they were very impressive, particularly how the crew behaved and their obvious pride in their ships. This time they've brought an AOR to play as well.

Definitely a navy on the up. I hope to god they don't see the material state of some or ours on the western jetties.............

18. IN have had expeditionary aspirations for many years now, I remember hosting then in Portsmouth about 8 years ago. I think that was the last time that we exercised with them anywhere other than their home waters.

What they can't do is sustain the long reach for any significant period. Yet.

It's probably valid to identify our own weakness in that area, but we are supporting several standing expeditionary deployments on an enduring basis.

I was involved in Konkan a few years ago, great people and an entertaining experience. Our diplomatic relationship with India is improving, although that may be in part down to the recent reduction in soviet influence in South Asia.

19. How much of the foreign aid of which Mr Brown is so fond of(and will not be subject to cuts) is diverted into the defence bugets of India & Pakistan to maintain their fleets?

Chill out its only a question!

20. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I vaguely remember someone spinning a dit about that.