Royal Navy warships may form part of EU fleet

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DT

The Sun

Starting the buzz now, the new carriers will have its base port in Toulon! remember where you heard it first.

Nice use of signal flags by the Sun.Daily Mail

2. Is't this a rehash of the same discussion a few weeks ago?

3. Pipe: "Red wine Tanky, report to the Chiefs' Mess."

I have a more serious opinion about the likelihood of getting all EU members to sign up to a sufficiently robust defence policy to be truly 'rapid-reaction'. Even though NATO is tried and tested, it has recently exposed critical differences in the willingness of particular EU nations to participate in combat operations. Imagine the situation if we had to rely on the agreement of EU Commissioners or even the European Parliament to make urgent decisions. Or would they be kept out of the loop?

4. Your days are numbered boys and girls. You might have to sail out of Calais, that's if there is no blockade ongoing at the time.

It just makes you want to march up to Downing Street (mind you wouldn't get that close) and stick an Exocet right up someones Arse. Forgot that's a Froggieee weapon isn't it.

5. Lesson One:

'Je suis un matelot jolie' !! :thumright:

6. Now, now lads, be positive. You're already part French by adopting the term 'matelot' to describe yourselves. The young and green don't seem to understand imperial measurements any more, only the French metric system and the word Parliament derives from Anglo-Norman. Then there are words used by unconscious Francophiles: settee instead of sofa, serviette instead of napkin, lounge instead of drawing room, toilet instead of that more English word, the head, and even The Times has the motto emblazoned on every front page: Dieu et mon droit!

So you see, most Britons are already semi-Francs, or to be more precise: Francobritish.* :biggrin:

*Note: I didn't say Franco-British! o_O

7. The Daily Telegraph "Royal Navy warships may form part of EU fleet"

The Sun "French demand our aircraft carriers for EU Navy"

So there's absolutely nothing in these reports to suggest any slanted reporting is there?

It's the usual nonsense got up by 'journalists' no doubt!

8. You forgot the Mail slant on it

"France set to hijack our Royal Navy to create a European military force"

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The only way the EU can get any actual fighting done is to get Brits to do it. All you'll get from most of the rest is gestures. This scheme lets us pay for it as well!

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Nuff said... :roll:

11. Well if Gordon says its not true, why do they have 20,000 hats like this in Nelson slops.

[​IMG]

12. But GB tells lies, so it must be true and it was featured in the Super Sore Away Sun, only 20p

13. Oh dear the silly season has started early this year, must be global warming again.

14. As we write a Lt Nicholas Cole RN is serving aboard the ITS Durande de la Pennet out of Taranto. Ironically serving on the same ship is the grandson of the Commanding Officer of Taranto when the Fleet Air arm were unwelcome unscheduled visitors. An EU navy? Already happening, sadly.

15. Yes but surely any Ship belonging to the Italians does not count as part of an EU Navy, they give up quicker than the Froggggieeeessss

16. The Eyeties have some nice looking ships, though, and fast.

They like to look good while legging it!

As an aside, I was on Glasgow in '86, in Taranto, when the Wardroom celebrated Taranto Night.

17. If the Ittttieees are like there Army was in Beirut, all Gelled Hair and Sunglasses no wonder thye lost so many Ships back then.

18. [/quote] As we write a Lt Nicholas Cole RN is serving aboard the ITS Durande de la Pennet out of Taranto. Ironically serving on the same ship is the grandson of the Commanding Officer of Taranto when the Fleet Air arm were unwelcome unscheduled visitors. An EU navy? Already happening, sadly.[/quote]

RN Personnel have served on exchange with other NATO Navies for decades, so there is absolutely no significance attaching to this!

19. Totally agree, I was watching Hornblower yesterday afternoon and I am sure he was on board a spanish ship of the line at some stage. See I know the words.

Damm I've just missed another episode.

Joking apart, whilst serving in beirut 83, some of us from our Squadron went out and spent time abord USS Raleigh (there's a name for you), we were welcomed aboard by the Exec Officer, who just happened to be a Jock who decided to become an American Citizen rather than join our Armed Forces.

Crap ship though