ROYAL NAVY WANTING TO JOIN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by HOPPY1403, Nov 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I HAVE A COUPLE OF CONVICTIONS I REALLY WANT TO JOIN THE NAVY I GOT A CONVITION OF THE HARSSMENT ACT WHEN I WAS 17 I AM NOW 23 SO MY CONVICTION IS SPENT BY SIX YEARS I ONLY GOT A 50 POUND FINE I AM NOT RACIST I JUST HAD TROULE WHEN YOUNGER WITH A COUPLE OF PEOPLE. NEED HELP WITH THIS WONDERING IF THIS WILL AFFECT MY APPLICATION

2. Your local Armed Forces Careers Office can give you a document which details how any offences affect your application. You may well be in luck if it is a spent conviction but the AFCO is the place to ask.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You say you have a couple of convictions but only detail one, it will very much depend on the seriousness and nature of the convictions

4. You need to be honest, if they are drugs related/rape etc then obv reasons you ain't getting in. However, take trip to your local careers office and see what they say.

Good luck!

5. Depends on the exact nature of your convictions as it goes. Anything very serious such as fraud, rape, drugs or the like and you are likely to be given the 'not suitable' vote.

6. ALL I DONE WAS WIND UP A COUPLE OF FOREIN PEOPLE ALONG TIME AGO I GOT A FIFTY POUND FINE. THE OTHER CONVICTION WAS COMMON ASSALT BUT THAT ALSO WAS IN WITH THE HARRSSMENT ACT CASE ABOVE THIS IS SOMTHIN THAT I WANT TO DO AND MY STUPID ACTIONS BACK I HOPE WONT EFFECT MY APPLICATION

7. If you want to join I would suggest that the first thing you do is a course to improve your use of the English language. A good grounding in English & mathematics will improve your chances of being offered a decent trade

8. LOL at Slims comment

9. ....and stop typing in capitals! It implies that you're shouting.

Seriously though mate, and I'm not taking the p1ss, your spelling and grammar do need some attention. There are plenty of books you can buy to help, or if that's not your thing, visit your local adult education centre. A decent grasp of English along with maths will always help to create the right first impression.

10. And perhaps learning nor to shout at RR messmates... Use lowercase please Hoppy. :wink:

11. When I suggested that Hoppy improved his standard of English it was meant to be taken seriously. Some of us are late developers and tend to enter further education later than others. I was fortunate enough to join the RN as a REM(A) in 1963. Those days it was mainly Tifffs who had GCE O levels (and of course most of the jennies) As a POAEM(A) I decided to take English & Maths O levels as thes were required for selection to Fleet Chief. I was 33 at the time and wished that I had done it earlier. I then attended Salisbury tech on day release and gained my ONC which basically gave me the same qualifications as a Tiff.
    Anyone joining the RN without qualifications should be encouraged to improve their education, after all its free, pusser encourage it and it can only be a benefit to your promotion prospects.
    Basically Faster Promotion = More Beer Tokens

12. Slim,
    Sorry if you thought I was implying that you were taking the p1ss shipmate, I merely wanted to assure Hoppy that I wasn't.

13. well i am not used to typing on keyboard. Do you think my convictions will be ok. Could you also tell what the swiming test is like with overalls on. I am swiming every week to improve my swiming also started to run everyday sorry for the bad spelling :?

14. Well I am taking the piss Hoppy ..... "ALL I DONE ..... " ... read it back arsewipe otherwise they will make you a WAFU & you don't want that now do you??

Moo!

15. Do you think they will effect my application

16. It is good that you are training for Raleigh, you will need to be fit. I did the swimming test many years ago in ovvies, before girls were required to pass it. I am not the strongest swimmer in the world, and of course they was no need to do it, but I got through it. It is harder that swimming in your cossie but do-able. Just keep on with the swimming, and practice treading water, and the worst thing for me was jumping off the high board. We were told that if we closed our eyes we would have to do it again! I am still not certain to this day whether that was PTI humour or not!

17. Hoppy it may be worth your while going to your local recruiting office and having a word with the staff. They should have all the answers and if they don't they should know where to find them.

18. surely "WIND UP A COUPLE OF FOREIN PEOPLE " as you put it, is a racially motivated attack and wouldn't be looked upon kindly???

19. I don't know about your convictions mate, so I can't comment. I personally believe that everyone deserves a second chance, and that a stupid mistake made while they were young shouldn't be held against you for ever. Trouble is, it's not up to me. Follow the advice already given on here and go and speak to the Careers office.

The swimming test isn't as bad as you would think, as long as you train for it, and the same goes for the running. You're obviously doing the right thing and taking it seriously, so just stick with it matey.

Lastly, don't apologise for your spelling and don't take any notice of people on here or elsewhere who take the p1ss out of you for it. If you've never been taught it, how can you be expected to know. My advice mate...do a lot of reading, your spelling will improve naturally and you won't even notice.
    Good luck.

20. Nah! ......

I walked around Yeovilton Air Station on 'Air day' & the fat biffa with lady bumps wearing a sailor suit was thee most ignorant pig I have ever encounterd in Somerset (& that's an achievement!!). Thing here Hoppy is that "Ignorance" is the key word ..... Ignorance is one of the most misrepresented words in the language. As long as your a good egg & honest then you will be "Good to go".

Bad education is no handicap .... trust me ... imagine me in 1969 unable to read & write when I went to the recruitng office in the bowls of Dorset.

Chill baby chill.