Royal Navy Vs University

Tomahawk said:
It's ok. Decided to go to Uni then the Navy. Kent for War Studies is my firm choice.

My younger brother is at Kent (doing Politics) and really rates the War Studies course. My youngest brother should also be heading to Kent in September. Canterbury's very nice, and the campus & accommodation is all together. I'm not sure if they have a URNU, but my brother is in OTC and really enjoys it.

Best of luck!

A+J_M

I am just finishing my second year of a Chemistry degree at University, having decided to wait to join the RN rather than going straight in after VI form. I definitely see it as being worthwhile; my chances of passing AIB now is far greater than before, purely because of the opportunities I have had whilst at University. Also, although the degree itself does not carry that much benefit in terms of the RN (other than about £5K a year initially and 3 years seniority) when (/if) I decide to leave the RN then once again, having a degree is going to make it much easier to find employment, and all graduate careers will still be open.

soleil

War Hero
A+J_M said:
I am just finishing my second year of a Chemistry degree at University, having decided to wait to join the RN rather than going straight in after VI form. I definitely see it as being worthwhile; my chances of passing AIB now is far greater than before, purely because of the opportunities I have had whilst at University. Also, although the degree itself does not carry that much benefit in terms of the RN (other than about £5K a year initially and 3 years seniority) when (/if) I decide to leave the RN then once again, having a degree is going to make it much easier to find employment, and all graduate careers will still be open.

Hi A+J_M

Welcome!

Just thought I would suggest making your initial approach to the AFCO once your exams are finished this term. What are you hoping to go in as?

BirdsAffirm

Midshipman
Having joined post A-levels 21 + years ago I'd give you tow options.
If you think in your heart that you'll be in the RN until you retire, then join straight from school. You then start working your way up the pole, getting paid fo it and travelling the world and earning medals in far flung holes which we end up sometimes fighting for/in.
If your RN career is a stepping stone, then get your degree now and don't worry about the debt - your retirement package will more than cover it in the longer term. You'll also need the degree as a 'starter for ten' when you aplly for your next career move post RN.
That said, there are in-Service degrees of varying levels now which you can take as you settle into the career.