Royal Navy TV Series & Documentaries

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
Hello everyone,

During my search for TV series and documentaries which involve the UK Royal Navy, it has become apparent that many of you, love, enjoy and have searched for these hidden gems all over the internet. I intend to use this stream to guide such fans to the wonderful shows. Please feel free to make suggestions on shows you have been looking for and I will try my best to find them as well as update this stream which the ones I have already located. Please enjoy.

KirkCrazy

Last edited:

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
We will start off with the TV Series Making Waves. This is a British television drama series produced by Carlton Television for ITV. It was created by Ted Childs and chronicles the professional and personal lives of the crew of the Royal Navy frigate HMS Suffolk. First broadcast on 7 July 2004, the series starred Alex Ferns as Commander Martin Brooke and Emily Hamilton as Lieutenant Commander Jenny Howard. The frigate HMS Grafton stood in for Suffolk and additional filming took place around HMNB Portsmouth with the full co-operation of the Royal Navy. The links to this series can be found below. Please enjoy.

KirkCrazy
Making Waves (2004)
Password: Navy

Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger
Hello everyone,

During my search for TV series and documentaries which involve the UK Royal Navy, it has become apparent that many of you, love, enjoy and have searched for these hidden gems all over the internet. I intend to use this stream to guide such fans to the wonderful shows. Please feel free to make suggestions on shows you have been looking for and I will try my best to find them as well as update this stream which the ones I have already located. Please enoy.

KirkCrazy
By chance do you have HMS Spartan I think it was.... definitely a S boat, was a one off around 1999, after the HMS Splendid series, documentary crew were onboard when she sailed from Rosyth

thank you

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
Next up is Royal Navy School (2016) also known as Royal Navy Sailor School (2016) depending on where in the world you watch it. The documentary series followed recruits through Royal Navy training, capturing every detail from gruelling training exercises to dormitory high jinks, as young men and women set out to change their lives. In places like the UK only 7 episodes were aired but there was in fact 8 episodes and all of these of available to watch on my links below. Please Enjoy.

KirkCrazy
Royal Navy School (2016) / Royal Navy Sailor School (2016)

Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
A classic TV series next with Warship (1973-77). This is a British television drama series produced by the BBC and broadcast between 1973 and 1977. The series was set contemporaneously and depicted life on board the fictitious Royal Navy frigate HMS Hero. Four series were produced with 45 episodes made in total. These episodes are available on the links below:

KirkCrazy
Warship (1973-77)

Season 1
Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9
Season 2
Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9 Episode 10
Season 3
Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9 Episode 10 Episode 11 Episode 12 Episode 13
Season 4
Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9 Episode 10 Episode 11 Episode 12 Episode 13

Last edited:

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
By chance do you have HMS Spartan I think it was.... definitely a S boat, was a one off around 1999, after the HMS Splendid series, documentary crew were onboard when she sailed from Rosyth

thank you
Hello buffersduffer,

I have serveral submarine shows but none of them seem to be about HMS Spartan. The ones I have in date order are:

Submarine (1943) - A submarine commander's own picture of a typical operation. Royal Navy instructional film A.141 (ADM 5031) released 1943. The submarine featured in the documentary is HMS Tribune, billed as the non-existent "HMS Tyrant" to confuse enemy intelligence. Written by ' Danda ', and produced by Douglas Cleverdon

Submarine (1985) - The show focussed on HMS Warspite and HMS Repulse during operations with exclusve access below decks.

Defence of the Realm - Submarine (1996) - HMS Victorious is a crucial part of the £10-billion Trident defence programme, carrying 16 warheads and 134 crew members. This groundbreaking film contains footage of the test-firing of a Trident missile from the submarine.

HMS Splendid (1997) - The BBC series featuring the Royal Navy's Hunter-Killer submarine, the HMS Splendid, on a top secret three-month mission. After travelling from its Farlane base to San Diego, the sub is charged with testing the first Tomahawk cruise missile, and the crew is followed every step of the way. Also included is a feature on the sub's new Lieutenant Commander as he undergoes the 'Perisher' selection course.

Royal Navy Submarine Patrol / Mission (2011) - Given extremely rare access to a Royal Navy submarine on active duties, this three-part documentary tells of the HMS Turbulent's ten-month patrol east of Suez. Cameras follow the crew of 130, led by Capt. Ryan Ramsey, as they prepare for a 100-day underwater mission during which they patrol the pirate-infested waters surrounding the Horn of Africa. Also, the Libyan uprising means the hunter-killer submarine is forced to plot a new course toward Tripoli, where the crew's responsibilities shift to protecting civilians caught up in the conflict.

Submarine School (2011) - Introduction to the five young officers who are taking part in the Perisher Course as they begin the all-important sea phase of the course. Working under orders from flagship HMS Ark Royal they must command HMS Triumph as she takes on deadly “opponents”, including almost identical Royal Navy submarine HMS Turbulent.

I will keep looking for others and if you have any more clues for me to follow, I will use them to try and find the documentary you are loooking for if it is not one of the above ok.

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
Here is an oldie but a goodie documentary about HMS Eagle from 1966. This aircraft-carrier was sailing from Mombasa to Singapore under the command of Captain John Roxburgh. Join the crew through their trails and tribulations

KirkCrazy
Warship Eagle (1966)

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
Next up we have Shipmates (2005). A definitive portrait of the men and women of the Royal Navy – at sea and ashore. This landmark documentary series focuses on the men and women of the Royal Navy and their ever-changing role in the modern world. From arcane below-deck rituals to quick-response tsunami relief, the series provides a fascinating insight into the unpredictable, dangerous and exciting reality of life on the high seas. The series follows the frigate HMS Chatham during her deployment to the Gulf for maritime security duties and her sudden diversion to provide humanitarian aid in Sri Lanka and accompanies HMS Ocean in the Thursday War, fought every week in the English Channel. Along the way we witness an exorcism at a Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth; join the naval field gun teams annual race for glory; and travel to Alexandria for one of the most unusual duties the Royal Navy has ever been asked to perform…

KirkCrazy
Shipmates (2005)

Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5

Last edited:

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
Next up we have the TV series Sailor (1976). In 1976 BBC camera crews were invited on board Britain's best-loved warship, the aircraft carrier Ark Royal, to record what was intended to be her last voyage. As the Ark Royal sailed for America, the cameras captured a unique record of daily life on board for the officers and ratings, as well as the workings of an operational aircraft carrier with a full compliment of fighter and bomber aircraft and helicopters. Sailor remains by far the best series ever made about the Royal Navy as well as providing a historic record of the passing of one of Britain's greatest fighting ships.

KirkCrazy
Sailor (1976)

Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5 Episode 6 Episode 7 Episode 8 Episode 9 Episode 10 Episode 11 Episode 12

Last edited:

Kirkmania

Lantern Swinger
The next series I would like to share is Royal Navy Submarine Patrol (2011) aka Royal Navy Submarine Mission (2011). Watch this 3 part series as Captain Ryan who is in charge of HMS Turbulent, leads his 160 crew in preparing the hunter-killer nuclear vessel for a mission that could see them stay underwater for 100 days. Setting sail from her home base of Plymouth, Turbulent’s mission is revealed, which is to patrol the pirate-infested waters of the Horn of Africa. Watch all that changes with the Libyan uprising.

KirkCrazy
Royal Navy Submarine Patrol (2011) aka Royal Navy Submarine Mission (2011)

Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3

Last edited: