Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Navy, thoughts and feelings.

alexissonice

Badgeman
I'm soon to start my training in a Raleigh in a couple of months and am incredibly excited about what lays ahead. I'm planning to go in for the long run in the Navy and work my butt off, study hard and learn as much as I can and progress as far as I can...even work towards to becoming a commissioned officer one day (I have a degree but wanted to go the rate route). I'll be turning 27 as I pass out of Raleigh with a ton of life experience behind me and will be totally focused on my career and getting to were I want to be. I read allot of negative things online about serving in the current navy; that the conditions are bad, the pay is better on the outside, that you have to put up with a allot of c**p - Is this sort of talk a real concern for allot of sailors? Does it overshadow the thrill of being at sea, visiting foreign lands, doing significant work in maritime security? Or having the unique opportunity improve yourself radically both mentally and physically throughout your career? Are they just nagging concerns or does it really question why you bothered in the first place? I'm not a very fussy guy..I've lived in all kinds of places while backpacking all over the world for years (from the best hostel in Sydney, to the absolute worst Cambodian hell hole, to a plastic sheet in the middle of the Sumatran jungle)
I've cleaned rooms and bathrooms all my life (surely that's a unpaid part of life in or out of the forces) and people tell me what to do and give me c**p on Civvie street... with the added disadvantage of being stuck in an office cubicle or a cold, manky factory floor 9-5 every week.

As a warfare spec, if you express interest in wanting to get involved and get training in different operations (such as boarding parties/weapons handling) can you do so? When I started the recruitment process two years ago, I was told that 'your career in the navy is in your hands. You get want you put in and their is no limit to where you can go'...is there truth in this?

I'm rambling but any thoughts/feelings/banter on the above will be appreciated.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

alexissonice

Badgeman
Sorry for the lack of spelling/editing ...I'm half asleep. You get the picture :)

G

guestm

I've had a good day so I'm going to give you a proper reply, I'll look elsewhere tonight for someone to pick on.

You'll find that those in the RN and indeed all of the Forces happy with their lot just get on with things and don't really speak up. In contrast, all the throbbers who believe they are owed a living waste all their energy complaining and telling all and sundry how shit everything is and how shit on they are all the time. There are of course some who have a genuine reason to complain and I won't sugar coat it, some branches more than others are feeling a pinch and are worked very hard but when you look at the bigger picture, we've got it pretty good.

Good wages (don't let anyone tell you otherwise)
Good pension (Not as good as it used to be but still stands up well)
Good career prospects with transferable skills
Free healthcare
Free gym
Free Adventurous Training
Free further education
CV filling experiences
A lot of very, very good people

You will clean stuff, you will be bored, you will have to work for and alongside some utter cocks, you will go where you're told and spend long periods away from home, you will visit shitholes, you will get stitched up for rubbish duties, you will get very, very tired etc.

But, you will forgive absolutely all of that for the occasional moments of absolute genius the RN can provide which instantly negate the shitness that crops up. You will do some genuinely interesting stuff, you will get excited, you will work for and alongside some absolute legends, you will get some big fat leave to take, you will visit some amazing places, you will do some mega public duties etc.

The RN is what you make it and you can go as far as you like, how much you enjoy it is also down to what you put in. You can spend all day in your rack / cabin playing on your laptop / iPad crying about how shit everything is and how rubbish your prospects are or you can get out there and get involved in the enormous amount of cool shit there is available to do and work your way up reaping the benefits as you go.

The worst that can happen is you piss around for 4 years and leave having made some new mates and visited a few new places. The best that can happen is pretty much only limited by you.

That said, if the option of joining as an Officer is open to you, do it. There is nothing to gain by 'going the rating route' if that is your long term goal. You'll only be seriously slowing your career down.

Oh, and for the OP:

be an Officer, it's great. But remember FM Slim's words - Leadership is just plain you - and think about what they actually mean.

alexissonice

Badgeman
I've had a good day so I'm going to give you a proper reply, I'll look elsewhere tonight for someone to pick on.

You'll find that those in the RN and indeed all of the Forces happy with their lot just get on with things and don't really speak up. In contrast, all the throbbers who believe they are owed a living waste all their energy complaining and telling all and sundry how shit everything is and how shit on they are all the time. There are of course some who have a genuine reason to complain and I won't sugar coat it, some branches more than others are feeling a pinch and are worked very hard but when you look at the bigger picture, we've got it pretty good.

Good wages (don't let anyone tell you otherwise)
Good pension (Not as good as it used to be but still stands up well)
Good career prospects with transferable skills
Free healthcare
Free gym
Free Adventurous Training
Free further education
CV filling experiences
A lot of very, very good people

You will clean stuff, you will be bored, you will have to work for and alongside some utter cocks, you will go where you're told and spend long periods away from home, you will visit shitholes, you will get stitched up for rubbish duties, you will get very, very tired etc.

But, you will forgive absolutely all of that for the occasional moments of absolute genius the RN can provide which instantly negate the shitness that crops up. You will do some genuinely interesting stuff, you will get excited, you will work for and alongside some absolute legends, you will get some big fat leave to take, you will visit some amazing places, you will do some mega public duties etc.

The RN is what you make it and you can go as far as you like, how much you enjoy it is also down to what you put in. You can spend all day in your rack / cabin playing on your laptop / iPad crying about how shit everything is and how rubbish your prospects are or you can get out there and get involved in the enormous amount of cool shit there is available to do and work your way up reaping the benefits as you go.

The worst that can happen is you piss around for 4 years and leave having made some new mates and visited a few new places. The best that can happen is pretty much only limited by you.

That said, if the option of joining as an Officer is open to you, do it. There is nothing to gain by 'going the rating route' if that is your long term goal. You'll only be seriously slowing your career down.

Thanks mate :) this is good too hear. It's sometimes hard to see through all the doom and gloom from the outside while reading things people post online about their bad experiences. I wouldn't say that my ultimate goal was to become an officer but I would like to (and I'm guna sound like a treacherous louse now) transfer to the Royal Australian Navy as a rate one day with allot of hard work and squeaky clean military record. It would be an interesting experience to become an officer but for me what's important is just getting in and , at my age when I applied, it was cutting it really fine (too fine) to apply as an officer. But hey, if it comes around and feels right, I might go for it. Either or, I think il just be happy to part of it all :) thanks for the good reply, you can lay into it if you want though...I could do with laugh.
Th

alexissonice

Badgeman
Don't go to the RAN; there's a reason why they're losing people hand over fist.

Aussie Permanent Residency is the main incentive for that move. It's either that or get hitched to some Aussie sort...not sure how well they take to British Sailors tho. Will have to play that one out.

G

guestm

Aussie Permanent Residency is the main incentive for that move. It's either that or get hitched to some Aussie sort...not sure how well they take to British Sailors tho. Will have to play that one out.

They love it. All women do.

alexissonice

Badgeman
This. Likewise the RNZN. Plus all colonials are massive ******* who start every sentence with "look".

God that winds me up big time when they say that. As if it's a massive inconvenience to their day to answer your question so they need to cut the chase straight away.."look to busy poncing around in my ute, drinking VB to elaborate .."Look" ...plebs. Birds are fit tho..great gene pool.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Career change. Mechanic to Royal Navy. Thoughts? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 2
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 36
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil VE Day 75 - A Royal Navy Retrospective The Fleet 0
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Royal Navy To Pay Faslane Tribute On VE Day 75th Anniversary" Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
soleil FB: "Video About The Royal Navy Photographic Branch, Created By Leading Photographer Dan Shepherd" #RNPhoto100 The Fleet 0
soleil FB: Royal Australian Navy Band - In Flanders Fields - Anzac Day 2020 History 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - Warrior Webcam Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil FB: Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity - RNRMC Submarine Fund (RNRMC-SMF) Submariners 1
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16