Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Royal Navy submarine engineer

Tommy-D16

Midshipman
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was just looking for some information and opinion.. I'm interested in joint the RN as an engineer, I've always had a keen interest in engineering, and also the navy so it sort of makes sense.

Just wondering if there is any engineers on here.. or anyone who is in the know that could tell me the general day to day. I have ready up and down the forum at some different posts and there's some good stuff.

I'm 24, I have a mortgage with my partner and currently employed in a dead end job, with no real career progression so I don't really feel like I am fulfilling my own potential, I am enthusiastic, optimistic and very sporty.

Is the navy for me? My partner said go for it and she would be happy with the potential 3,4,5 month me away on operations, just want to know if people have had similar experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Tommy

I was a Marine Engineering Artificer (Electrical) when I left if that's any help.

How did you find it? It's something I have toyed with for years to be honest, I know it's secure and really interesting and something I could make a career out of,

I know it depends on operational needs, but how long are you expecting to be away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Average patrol will be 3 months dived (no contact with the world basically)although if you go SSN the boat could be away for 9 months or more, you won't do the whole trip unless you're unlucky.

The way it works for SSN's (or should do), is there's enough people for 5 watches, 4 take it to sea and the 5th watch stay home. Wherever the boat pops up in the world, the 5th watch fly out and the next watch flies home, and so it goes on. You could be the watch left at home for 2 weeks or 3 months, depending on what the boat is doing.

If you go SSBN (Bombers), the boats in the patrol cycle have 2 crews who alternate patrols so 3 months at sea, 3 months alongside, wave the boat off as the other crew take it out and so on.

I enjoyed it for the extra pay, more responsibility as a maintainer and the comradeship, plus I was always SSN's and based in Plymouth which is why I probably did 30 years in boats, but be warned, nuclear boats are hard work and ME's keep more duties than others on the boat and you will be based in Faslane nowadays.

Average patrol will be 3 months dived (no contact with the world basically)although if you go SSN the boat could be away for 9 months or more, you won't do the whole trip unless you're unlucky.

The way it works for SSN's (or should do), is there's enough people for 5 watches, 4 take it to sea and the 5th watch stay home. Wherever the boat pops up in the world, the 5th watch fly out and the next watch flies home, and so it goes on. You could be the watch left at home for 2 weeks or 3 months, depending on what the boat is doing.

If you go SSBN (Bombers), the boats in the patrol cycle have 2 crews who alternate patrols so 3 months at sea, 3 months alongside, wave the boat off as the other crew take it out and so on.

I enjoyed it for the extra pay, more responsibility as a maintainer and the comradeship, plus I was always SSN's and based in Plymouth which is why I probably did 30 years in boats, but be warned, nuclear boats are hard work and ME's keep more duties than others on the boat and you will be based in Faslane nowadays.

Brilliant, thanks there's some good information! I'm really looking forward to how it pans out

WE or ME could if you progress give you a degree as part of your career training.
WE at sea on SSN work watcher's 6 hours about eg 6 on 6 off the whole time at sea.
WE your training would be mainly electrical/ electronic with some mechanical, whereas ME is mainly Mechanical/ electrical with electronics so it depends on which side of engineering you are drawn too,hot sweaty ME or WE I was WE for 24 years, 12 years ships & 12 years submarines enjoyed both for different reasons.
The ME role is to keep the vessel moving through the water the WE role is to communicate and keep the ability to fight working, a bit simplistic but that's the main areas, you would also have a watch keeping potion to qualify in?

WE or ME could if you progress give you a degree as part of your career training.
WE at sea on SSN work watcher's 6 hours about eg 6 on 6 off the whole time at sea.
WE your training would be mainly electrical/ electronic with some mechanical, whereas ME is mainly Mechanical/ electrical with electronics so it depends on which side of engineering you are drawn too,hot sweaty ME or WE I was WE for 24 years, 12 years ships & 12 years submarines enjoyed both for different reasons.
The ME role is to keep the vessel moving through the water the WE role is to communicate and keep the ability to fight working, a bit simplistic but that's the main areas, you would also have a watch keeping potion to qualify in?

Great info sumo thank you, I'm leaning towards ME to be honest.. something I've always had interest in.. also my dad is an engineer on civvi street so it kinda runs in family

have you spoken to a Naval Recruiter to see what qualifications standard you need, your partner being happy now is not the same as when you vanish of the face of the earth for months? It takes a special type of woman to handle that, but there are are forums' on here she could join to ask what it's like to be a service wife?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was just looking for some information and opinion.. I'm interested in joint the RN as an engineer.......

.......Thanks in advance.

Tommy

Is there any need to post the same question 4 times? I nearly pressed the 'spam' button. Once is enough.

Well obviously I went a little mad with the delete button on your redundant posts. If I go any more mad I'll hit the spam button.
SD you are such an hard man maybe he is a tadge impatient and did not get a responce, impetuous young, if he had gone to DL or the Barge wrecker and I may have seen him sooner? Or Submarine forum, happy Christmas grumpy:D

Latest Threads