Royal Navy Sovereign of the Seas Chronograph

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by soleil, Aug 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Peter Hitchens in the Mail on Sunday today:

"We are urged to buy the ‘Royal Navy Sovereign of the Seas Chronograph’, which looks like a watch to me. It is an ‘official licensed product of the Royal Navy’, adorned with the White Ensign and the odd motto ‘Defend, Deter, Defeat’, which I have never seen in any of Her Majesty’s ships. The Defence Ministry confirms that the Navy really is lending its name to such promotions. And it says the watch is actually made in China."

ENDS

This is the item in question:

http://www.bradford.co.uk/product_i...-Sovereign-of-the-Seas-Chronograph-Watch.html

Worth £125?

Good idea for the RN to endorse products like this - or not?

2. What a tasteless piece of crap. Never heard of the motto. DDD.
    Certainly not worth £125. Besides Uncle Albert will be knocking out repros, for £2.50p within a week. If he could bother copying it. :wink:

3. That's just the un-official motto mate, the real "Find, Look round, grab and scarper, would not fit on this timepiece.

4. Wot use is that...It only goes down to 30 Mtrs.....

5. [​IMG]

Quality is that!

6. Utter cack!

Made in China too! Nice way of supporting British Industry (or even European Industry).

It's not too pretty either.

T_A.

7. How come the Crabs get a Gold one,& the Bootnecks get a Cuckoo Clock ,We are the Senior Service,We demand parity when it comes to getting hornswoggled.

8. I believe the full phrase is "Defend, deter, defeat, and prevail." and is an Americanism.

9. Could have been a Spoonerism! :wink:

10. Only if it was "Pretend, proffer, profit, and retail."

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

No more a motto than 'shape, attack, protect, exploit'. Exploit? There's a thing.

It looks like tat, sounds like tat and if it is made in China tat sighting confirmed.