Royal Navy Ship's Bells?

Discussion in 'History' started by EODGround_Hog, Apr 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this is an odd request, but is there anyone on the site who would know what happens to a Royal Navy Ship's Bell after a ship is decommissioned/broken up?

Any Help either here or through a PM would be appreciated...

Thanks...

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Usually, although not always, the bell gets loaned to the Town Hall of that city/town/village affiliated to the ship, theoretically until the next ship of that name is built. Otherwise they go up for auction as advertised in DIN's. Otherwise, someone sells them on Ebay!

3. Thanks Ninja,

Any idea what has become of 'HMS Maidstone's' Bell?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Stating the obvious, try Maidstone district council first, followed by the County Council- they often send them to museums to gather dust, I'd try that one second. Some are already in private ownership, usually bought by one of the individuals who was christened onboard & has had their name etched in the bell. The RN museum may be able to give you disposal details, thirdly.

5. Thanks again N_J I will contact the various elements you mentioned...

6. Thanks TattooDog, had a look through the RN Museum Site but couldn't find an actual search link so sent an E-Mail instead. Will look through the other site now.

Thanks again...

7. Most of the old Carrier bells are located in the FAA museum at RNAS Yeovilton.

My son was tickled pink when I showed him his name stamped inside the Bulwark Bell one Air Day. They used use them as a font when he was Christened. Does this still happen?
    RoofRat

8. Ninja_Stoker

Yes

9. My wife was Christened in the bell of the battleship HMS Howe (I'm not saying when!) in which her father was a Senior Commissioned Gunner, and what a peppery old sod he was! I'll have a shot at tracing the bell.

10. I thought that tradition had it that the bell is presented to the person whose name in first inscribed within it.

11. That would put me way down on the list for the dartmouth one then

12. Ninja_Stoker

Yes, but one thing in your favour is that you appear to be outliving your contemporaries!

13. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I seem to remember on one ship that I was in when it paid off, that all the names were put into a hat... It was some time ago now though, and I am getting on....

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Last time I visited Kent County Records Office (a couple of years ago) the bell of HMS Maidstone was on show in the foyer. Could probably be confirmed by going to KCC on the internet & sending an email. To visit, very short-term parking under the walls of Maidstone gaol but confirm location first as CROs sometimes get money and move house.

As a coda to this 'bells' thread, shamefully,the bell of HMS/M Telemachus has just been stolen from the front porch of the officer who commanded her during the war. Probably melted down for scrap by now.

15. Seaweed,

Just got info back from Kent County, the Bell there is from HMS Kent.....

Still looking for HMS Maidstone's Bell if anyone has any clues?

16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

EODGround_Hog, very sorry that my memory played a trick and led you on a wild goose chase. Mea culpa.

17. No worries seaweed it was a possibility and turned out to be a RN Ships Bell but just a different one...

18. Ninja_Stoker

I wonder if writing a letter about the bell to ther letters page of the Maidstone local paper may give you some new leads?

19. hi I tried searching for ships bells and came across a site that sold them but Ive lost the link now.I'll trawl again and if I find it I'll post it.