Royal Navy SAR

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by taylerhughes, Sep 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know anything about the Royal Navy SAR?

My grandad was part of a SAR crew when he was in the forces and I would like to have it as a goal for the future. Does anyone know how someone would go about being selected for training? Is there preference for people doing certain jobs in the Royal Navy?

Thank in advance,

2. Waspie and Me are Ex SAR Aircrewmen, but flew in hot air ballons whilst winching, LOL. think that a couple of guys on here are serving?? and this is a link for you. Aircrewmans Association

3. To fly in the SAR Helicopter you have to be a Pilot, Observer or Aircrewman. The first two are Officers, so have a look at the RN website for details on those careers.
    The Aircrewman branch is sideways entry only, as the minimum Rate is Leading Hand, so you would join the RN as something else, then branch change into it (if recommended for promotion to LH). These are the guys who go down on the wire and rescue folk, whereas the Observer is usually operating the winch.
    Usually all Pilots, Observers and Aircrewman will have done a job flying another type of Helo in another role before getting the chance to do a dedicated SAR role. For all shipborne Helos, SAR is a secondary role - ie if you're nearby when someone needs help on the high seas, your ship may get tasked to help!
    There is also a plan to civilianise all UK SAR - this project known as SAR-H is currently on hold I believe, however this would mean the end of RAF and RN SAR aircraft, with all aircraft being run by a company under the banner of the Coastguard.

4. Further to Talking Baggages post, my old boss went directly into Bristows Helicopters, based in Aberdeen. He qualified as a pilot with them then subsequently joined the RN as a pilot. So what I suppose I am saying is that the services is not the only route into SAR.

Having spent eight years dedicated SAR work it is a very worth while job but is not something you will walk into by joining either the RN or RAF. I can only echo TB's post ref. your need to complete a tour either Pinging, (Sonar/ASW), Junglie or Lynx.

A good insight into the work is Highland Rescue on Channel 5, Wednesdays I believe.

Good luck in your pursuit of a worthwhile career but it will not happen overnight, if at all. Not everyone wishing to go SAR will be deemed suitable for many reasons.

5. If you want to join the RN and see yourself as SAR Aircrewman, rather than an Observer or Pilot, (not saying you do, just an option) don't forget that Lynx flights still employ one of the AET's (usually, although sometimes a LH) as a Winchman. If you see yourself going down this route, then at least you can gain some early experience while you get ready for promotion and see if it is for you. If it does all work out for the best and you go on up the ladder whichever way, you should have gained an engineer's understanding of the contraption you will be flying in, which is never a bad thing.

6. I was a grubber and I was always going flying on 'jollies'. Of course it was the sun glasses and flying boots that convinced me to change branch to aircrewman.

7. Know what you mean mate. I'm a Flying Maintainer and love my "Aircrew Slippers".

As for the sun-gigs, we put subtle reminders for the Flt Cdr on the instrument panel:

"Pilots without mechanics are just pedestrians with sunglasses and a cool jacket."

8. :laughing2: :laughing2: :laughing2: :thumbup:

Made me chuckle that one!

9. Grubber, do you do in flight tracking. Did on Wasps - good fun, Wessex were done by turning a canvas strip into the blade tips. Cannot honestly remember Kings being tracked!!!

10. Yeah it's all done by Strobes and computer jiggery-pokery. I sit in the back and play with the computer box, which then tells me what to do with the blade pitch when we get down again. Other than that I read the warnings for certain tests and record the figures.

For any AET LH or PO it's something worth considering, as I've learned loads about how the aircraft actually flies, what control inputs are required for certain maneouvres and what the is going on with the engines, transmission etc during different parts of the flight envelope. Don't get me wrong, it's not essential, but I love my job and always want to know more.

11. Thanks for the info everyone, I understand how it works now.

Thank You!