Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Navy sailor disembarks on shore leave in Plymouth

I've been trawling the BBC's creative archive site and came across this gem of a clip.

It shows HMS Carisbrooke Castle (K379) a Castle class corvette entering Plymouth and tying up alongside in Devonport dockyard. A couple of matelots go ashore and one of them takes a bus ride into Plymouth via Union Street. As far as I can make out the year is 1954 when Carisbrooke was part of the 2nd Training Squadron, based in Portland.

Evocative stuff, if just a little before my time!

Tim

Squirrel

Lantern Swinger
Long long before my time, but still a pleasure to watch.

The lads would be off for a different type of sharking nowadays though :lol:

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Ah!!! Those were the days when matlots were a proud bunch and the BBC turned out serious programmes. None of this fly on the wall shite.

Makes me wonder just how the modern generation of matlot would cope with RN life like this.

SF

R094V1-George

Badgeman
quote="Harry_off_the_Hermes"]I've been trawling the BBC's creative archive site and came across this gem of a clip.

It shows HMS Carisbrooke Castle (K379) a Castle class corvette entering Plymouth and tying up alongside in Devonport dockyard. A couple of matelots go ashore and one of them takes a bus ride into Plymouth via Union Street. As far as I can make out the year is 1954 when Carisbrooke was part of the 2nd Training Squadron, based in Portland.

Evocative stuff, if just a little before my time!

Tim[/quote]

Well before my time :wink: But it was a pleasure to watch. Plymouth (Guzz) was a bloody good run-ashore at anytime :D :wink:

I've noticed that Blue Peter are putting old video clips on their website (a colleague at work pointed it out to me today) so I have asked them if they'll put up the one of John Noakes going up the Mast at the G-Place - the one where he was too knackered to shin up the pole to the button. If they do I'll add a link.

Always_a_Civvy said:
Very nice indeed. The link has appeared in out video links before actually, but it's nice seeing it again. The clip below might be of interest, seemingly following on from the film above, and following one of the sailor's on a train journey...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/calc/aip.shtml?id=1005#

I did wonder whether the link had been posted before, had a quick look but didn't find anything.

I didn't connect the train journey clip to the first one so thanks for that. North Road station was never as empty as that when I was going on leave!

There are a few clips relating to the events 'down south'. Here are all the clips from 1982

Tim

Thanks for that --the early ones in Guzz. Real memory jerker and as I remembered it ---in 1958-60 not much changed anyway . Was on a Daring class and I see in the clip the frigate came past one--no pennant numbers though. I was on Delight .

The oilskin instead of the old burberry :lol: :lol: The white hats looked like the plastic ones--- never got them in St Vincent till late 1956 .

The brown case --never used mine for going ashore wiv --the holdall had started to be available in 1957

Yep that was when we had a Navy --lots of it!!

safewalrus

War Hero
There's sad - heaved mine over the side as soon as I could - typical useless bit of brown cardboard, relic from the yearas of oversupply (oversupply? did that really happen? only at times of war deary!)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy sailor killed during World War 1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 2
soleil Derby Telegraph: "Asbestos On Royal Navy Ships Killed Derby Sailor" Health & Fitness 4
soleil Herald: "Tributes As "Inspirational" Royal Navy Sailor Dies Aged 35" The Fleet 5
soleil Mirror: "Royal Navy Sailor Detained For Sex Attack On Warship" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "Award For Policewoman Who Saved Royal Navy Sailor" Bases / Shore Est 2
Mongke's_Fist The Red Sailor - auction for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines charity The Book Club 37
soleil Burton Mail: "Sailor's 30 Years In The Royal Navy" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Birmingham Mail: "Royal Navy In Halesowen Sailor Tragedy Memorial" Submariners 0
soleil Kidderminster Shuttle: "Kidderminster Sailor Is Royal Navy’s Weatherman" The Fleet 1
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Statutory Instrument on Royal Navy Police enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red letter day for Royal Navy in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warships monitor significant Russian presence close to UK waters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 36