Royal Navy sailing team

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by 2009poolesparky, Mar 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm starting basic in April. Joining up as a marine engineer

I'm a pretty good dinghy sailor and love racing! I'm super keen to get involved more in this if I can in the service, how should I go about making myself known etc?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. Let the PTI's and Instructors know as soon as possible, also keep your eyes on the noticeboards for the RN Sailing club news, regatta's etc etc.
  3. Awesome, I guess I could let them know as soon as I get started at Raleigh? I met an ex matelot at my sailing club, he said he used to just travel the world representing the navy at events and regattas! Sounds like something if love to try and get involved with!

4. Join RNSA, Royal Naval Sailing Association. Read DCIs or what ever they call them these days for courses and adventure training etc. but this is all comes latter, get through basic first. Good luck.
  5. Sorry for the late reply guys! Thanks v much I will be getting on it as soon as I can! Show them what a real sailor does :p

6. Nothing like a bit of eagerness but actions speak much louder than words. You may sometimes have to become a real sailor first. Good luck from one who used to crew Sea Feather at Ganges long ago. Now when Oi wuz in the navee. :)
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bollotom: I was involved in the dinghy and yachting communities in the RN for a number of years and while I appreciate what you mean by "real sailor" I have to say that it is not a given that matelots make good sailors (in the watersporting sense) - in fact, I would have to say the opposite is true. The Commodore of the RNSA has voiced his concern for the last few years about the low numbers of serving personnel who are involved in the sport and has actively tried to promote the sport at Part II/III establishment level. I know plenty of matelots who could not tell one end of a yacht from another, while I know plenty of natural dinghy sailors who've never stepped on board a warship before.
    The OP would be advised to read the relevant newsletters that will distributed around Sultan when he gets there and make his face known to those who organise and take part in their regular events. Failing that, he could contact Portsmouth Command Sailing Centre and volunteer his evenings helping out with regattas.
  8. Totally agree with your post sgtpepperband. I really meant for the OP to concentrate on getting through training as a main aim and the sailing would follow. Nice to see some still interested in sailing doesn't seem to get much publicity beyond olympics and Cowes week, well not in 'Ackney anyway. :salut:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Doesn't get much publicity in Cowes either!

Ahh ... the joys of wanging around in a Bosun! :) Happy dayzzzzzzzzzzz!
  10. Definitely let the clubswingers know of your love of "watersports", they will sort you out:smile: