Royal Navy RT Test

Hi was just wondering if someone could give me the answer I’m looking for can’t find it anywhere.

I took my RT test on the 5th December last year and I passed, unfortunately I didn’t get what I wanted to join up as (AET) however I got offered other jobs but I am dead set on AET. I am allowed to retake in 2 months but I was just wondering if I scored lower in the second test would that potentially not allow me to take some of the other jobs I was told I could do previously or will they always go off of my higher score and the other jobs will still remain.

Many thanks

As far as I’m aware they base it on the more recent test, so if you take the test again and don’t do as good then yes you may lose out on them. But I aren’t a careers advisor so I aren’t too sure, so don’t take my word for it! Best off just asking your local AFCO. All the best and hope you do excellent!

@LeedsBornLeedsBred

Cheers for the help I have spoken to the AFCO but the person I spoke to confused me a bit and I felt like a bit of an idiot to ring up again , so thought I’d try posting on here as it’s helped me loads before through out my application process.

Hi was just wondering if someone could give me the answer I’m looking for can’t find it anywhere.

I took my RT test on the 5th December last year and I passed, unfortunately I didn’t get what I wanted to join up as (AET) however I got offered other jobs but I am dead set on AET. I am allowed to retake in 2 months but I was just wondering if I scored lower in the second test would that potentially not allow me to take some of the other jobs I was told I could do previously or will they always go off of my higher score and the other jobs will still remain.

Many thanks
What jobs did they offer you.

Hi what other jobs were you offered? I would maybe consider something else as Iv heard the waiting list for AET is at least a year to start. I did the recruit test late November for the RFA failed by one mark maths section gutted.

@ShakeyJakey @Drakey thanks for replying
I can’t remember off the top of my head what I was given, however I was only really looking to join as part of the fleet air arm as i am really intrested in aviation due various friends and family being in that area of work and I also done my work experience at RNAS Culdros with 771 squadron (SAAR) before it had gone and from that point was when I realised that fleet air arm is the branch I want to be involved with. Regarding the waiting list times I’d be happy to wait for that long.
Thank you for your help much appreciated

Last edited:
Did you get any feedback from the RT pal was it an individual section where you didn't score high enough or was it the overall score? Have another go if you don't meet requirement I would go aircraft handler.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Buy a maths revision book and a navy RT guide with practice tests in , pratice every day as much as you can , that’s what I did and I passed for AET .... from what I last heard waiting time is 4-5 months so some conflicted information out there. Ps im a duffer, I falied maths at school so if I can do it you can oh and scrub up on engineering principles.

@ShakeyJakey @Maxpowers
When I finish they said to me I was fairly close just needed to bring up my overall score slightly and tighten up on the maths
I’ve got 2 or 3 different revision guides ranging from a full psychometric test to maths books never been particularly academic especially not with maths haha but I had been revising for the best part of 5 months before I took my test thought I was ready for it but the test was nothing like my psychometric booklets (I sort of new this anyway as they aren’t going to publish a book that’s bang on to the test) my reason for asking the question was just to gauge a rough idea of if it would be worth having another go for AET or take Navel Airman and gamble on the chances of scoring lower and only being offered things that don’t intrested me as much as these to roles do.

Thanks for everyone’s help

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
@ShakeyJakey @Maxpowers
When I finish they said to me I was fairly close just needed to bring up my overall score slightly and tighten up on the maths
I’ve got 2 or 3 different revision guides ranging from a full psychometric test to maths books never been particularly academic especially not with maths haha but I had been revising for the best part of 5 months before I took my test thought I was ready for it but the test was nothing like my psychometric booklets (I sort of new this anyway as they aren’t going to publish a book that’s bang on to the test) my reason for asking the question was just to gauge a rough idea of if it would be worth having another go for AET or take Navel Airman and gamble on the chances of scoring lower and only being offered things that don’t intrested me as much as these to roles do.

Thanks for everyone’s help
From the sounds of it you will regret anything other than AET im not the most academic ethier mate trust me , I bought the how to be Royal navy Rt book and it served me well . If you really want it put the hours in and you can be content you tried if nothing else .A postive mindeset is also key , you are allready talking about failing your second one how will you ever pass it with that in your head .Trudge on mate and don’t let one failure define you!

From this armchair it's apparent that RT score info regurgitated by @ShakeyJakey (apt c/s?) differs considerably from that of a WO who has spent the last xxteen years as an RN Careers Advisor.

IMHO better for all concerned if Shakey would front up here & explain who/where he received his duff information.

Meanwhile wherezatpopcorn?