Royal Navy Reserves whilst applying to be Officer?

baldie

Midshipman
I am currently in the application process to be an Aircrew Officer. I have my FATS very soon and if all goes to plan my AIB after that. However, I was informed by my ACLO that the selection board for Aircrew is at the start of Febuary for the May intake. As I will most likely be trying for selection to the September intake, I was wondering whether I would have sufficient time to start in the Royal Navy Reserves over the next 8 months as a introduction to Navy life and something to pass the time so to speak. Also is there a way to fast forward through the application process if you have already began a application (I have passed RT,Medical,PJFT and SIFT already).
Thanks in advance

The RNR is not intended as a holding pen for personnel joining full time. You would also struggle to make a living off of it (£200 a month if you’re a very active recruit).

Your selection elements would transfer over to an RNR application but I don’t believe you can hold two concurrent applications. @Ninja_Stoker ?

Saying that, your local unit might find a place for you (maybe in a less official capacity).

I’d contact your local unit to discuss it, the AFCO can put you in touch.

baldie

Midshipman
The RNR is not intended as a holding pen for personnel joining full time. You would also struggle to make a living off of it (£200 a month if you’re a very active recruit).

Your selection elements would transfer over to an RNR application but I don’t believe you can hold two concurrent applications. @Ninja_Stoker ?

Saying that, your local unit might find a place for you (maybe in a less official capacity).

Thank you, I'll contact my AFCO to discuss. The money isn't the issue, I'm just sick of sitting around waiting. Guess that's just part of the game ;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Concur with regard the role/function of the RNR.

It IS actually possible to run a dual concurrent application and all completed selection elements are transferable, in fact @baldie could do a seamless transfer into the regular service from the RNR, keeping all selection elements "in date"...but, as correctly stated the function of the RNR is to flexibly augment the trained strength of the regular Royal Navy rather than provide work experience and an application now would not complete RNR Officer training by September (assuming the individual passes FATs & AIB and makes the cut for Aircrew entry), so @baldie can expect to start RN Officer training from scratch upon transfer.

The local RNR unit maybe entirely happy to accommodate individuals temporarily, so it's worth an ask but there's zero gain to the RNR other than paying wages and issuing kit....unless the individual loves it so much, they elect to stay in the RNR.

Go for some relevant voluntary work.Local RNLI. Things like that. If stuck for something to do. Will be positive on Your interview. Though if Your depending on a load of old has beens like us, who can barely us a computer....:)

Latest Threads