Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Royal navy reserves basic training

No. You undertake all the tests and you need to PASS them, then you do the medical and need to PASS it, then you need to get your security clearance (can take ages, took 5 months when I joined nearly 50 years ago, and I didn't have any complications like non-British grandparents). You can turn up at the unit and help with lots of the things that go on, but you won't be issued any kit and won't be able to start training until you're formally notified that you're in. Keep in close touch with the pipeline manager.

I've been outside for 10 years now and I'm not up to speed with the current practice. The RNR used to handle everything within the unit you were joining, but now, as I understand it, the process has been aligned with that for entry as a Regular. Be prepared to deal with the amorphous, time-wasting and singularly obtuse Capita.

Sorry I ment do they send you for a royal navy reserves medical. Or is it done by your GP
The medical (usually) proceeds as follows:
You fill out a pile of paperwork detailing every known medical condition ever to have existed, and simultaneously go for a (free) eye test at an approved RN practitioner.

Assuming all the paperwork is in order/doesn't get lost in a database, you then have a phone call with a nurse who basically asks you all the questions on the paperwork again, and may also ask follow up questions.

Following this, you may have a request submitted to your GP for further information on certain medical conditions that could disqualify you, such as previous use of an inhaler. Once they've responded, you have an in person medical which involves further testing and making you do push ups in your underwear, after which you'll be told whether you've passed or failed.

All sounds relatively simple but often takes ages between stuff being processed, crapita being crapita, and GP's being lazy/incredibly busy/some combination of the two and not bothering to reply to communications

The medical (usually) proceeds as follows:
You fill out a pile of paperwork detailing every known medical condition ever to have existed, and simultaneously go for a (free) eye test at an approved RN practitioner.

Assuming all the paperwork is in order/doesn't get lost in a database, you then have a phone call with a nurse who basically asks you all the questions on the paperwork again, and may also ask follow up questions.

Following this, you may have a request submitted to your GP for further information on certain medical conditions that could disqualify you, such as previous use of an inhaler. Once they've responded, you have an in person medical which involves further testing and making you do push ups in your underwear, after which you'll be told whether you've passed or failed.

All sounds relatively simple but often takes ages between stuff being processed, crapita being crapita, and GP's being lazy/incredibly busy/some combination of the two and not bothering to reply to communications
He/she could have died of old age waiting for replies at this stage. Anyhoo. On coming from Leeds...
1701461777627.png Sophistication, sophistication..? Don't talk to me about sophistication. I've been to Leeds, and ready for the wardroom...:)

Latest Threads