Royal Navy recruiting slogans

Discussion in 'History' started by Brains, Jan 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So now we have "Life Without Limits", we've had "The Team Works" and the not-very-steely "Be Part of Something".
    I think it was "See the World. Differently" when I joined up.

What other recruiting slogans have we had over the years?
    Which do you think are the best, and worst, of the bunch?

I've heard tales of some dire ones, but don't know whether they were genuine or just naval myths...

2. Join the Navy, feel a man... then they realised it was attracting lots of gays... :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Ready to take you on. And on. (1997/8 I think)

The laughable James Bond one in 1997-Feared by his enemies, adored by his nation, trained by the Navy.

4. Is that one for real? Really? Hahahahahahahahaha

5. Can't remember the campaign that got me. I think it was just a small ad in the Daily Mail saying something about joining the RN, so I thought I'd give it a go. That was in 1985(!)

However, staying loosely on topic, how about commissioning a 6 part soap opera, set on a fictional T23? It'll do wonders for recruitment, and it'll go on and on for years, just like Corrie or Eastenders!

Think of all the varied storylines you could have; fighting, sex, breaching the code of conduct, messdeck tension etc etc.

It could be set entirely in Portsmouth using RN people as extras. Call it something like, ooh I dunno, "On The Waves"?

Oh, hang on a minute . . . .

TD

Seriously though, anyone know where I can get the CD?

6. Cheers for the link!

The Navy News office in Portsmouth were flogging copies off last year, but I didn't manage to get a copy.

7. You can get it on Amazon, one of the lads ordered it whilst we were away.

8. Says it all really!

[​IMG]

9. Forget that awful TV show - real navy what a load of rubbish....
    Heres a proper video of real sailors doing the real job not a bunch of crap actors
    Ok its from 1976 on board HMS Ark Royal a real Aircraft Carrier not the little version we have today.

Sailor

11. I think from my Era. for most it was

Join the Navy or Go to Jail :roll:

12. Here we go then this Gunner has a at least 15 inches between his legs, lucky little dabtoe.

[​IMG]

I would be on top of the world with a weapon like that. None of the silly little 4.5 inches that modern day matelots have. I suppose they get chucked out at the Medical if its over 4.5. inches.

Nutty

13. Amazingly it is...obviously whoever coined it had NO idea of the double entendre!... then again, maybe they did :wink: :lol:

I think they should re-run it in the gay press... Whose for a soap on a rope?

14. Does anyone remember the "Fly Navy" car stickers in the early seventies, I had one but no car, how sad is that?

15. Lots of the them stickers were about - - even the cooks had one

"Cook Navy Sail Navy" With a cartoon of a fat cook... was around in the mid 1980's

16. I had one that said "Ships with Everything" about 1980.

17. I do recall 'Submariners do it deeper' ; another was '........ do it in waves' - or something very similar.

:smile:

18. The FLY NAVY sticker was brought to UK by a pilot who had done on an exchange with the USN in the early 60s. Others copied!!!

19. Way back in the late fifties you were urged to "Join Britains NEW Navy"!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum.