Royal Navy PTI's tattoo of HMS Victory on his bicep at Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by hat20, Jul 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hopped over here from ARRSE...hope this is the right place.. Was at the Air Day Saturday and we saw the most amazing tattoo on the bicep of a RN PTI who was helping with the Field Gun comp I think. It was HMS Victory in full sail!! and it didn't even cover his full bicep, wife was very very impressed.:eek:mg:
    Would anyone on here know the owner of said tatt and is there any chance of a photo on here of it as it is pretty damm well amazing and wife was going to ask for a pic of it but was too shy.would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
    hat20

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Arrgh, that it be. That it be.

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Are you sure it's Victory, or is it as is being suggested, just a generic sailing ship? Popular in the days before the 'sleeves' and 'some old Celtic bollocks' tats when only matelots, Maoris and jailbirds had tats.

Wife was impressed? If matey looked as if he was on loan from a Pour Homme scent advertisement you may have got an involuntary stiffy.

4. Funnily enough, I've just had a 'Homeward Bound' Tattoo on my bicep. Left the mob over 10 years now, so felt that I could have a few 'nautical' tats and not be too 'Jack me tickler'

Besides, 'old school' tats are back in again :)

5. that's a relief. :blank:

Attached Files:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Aren't they OK on the bicep, but rather naff on the calf? (asking for a friend)

• Like Like x 1
  7. . Silence is golden

Attached Files:

8. Seadog

So it is a calf. I was wondering what part of anatomy was being presented.

Calf naff ( especially around the front ). The shitehawks spoil it. And grey carpet? Sack your interior designer.

Upper arm or bicep is fine but like a lot of tats, when you get old and wrinkley and / or flabby they'll look like birth marks. Those sleeve things will make a white bloke ( or lass ) in old age look like they are oddly mixed race.

As for their individuality, shite. Tats are everywhere now. It is more individual and unusual to have unadorned skin.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  9. That'll be me then, I had a DO confirm that I was an unusual individual as well, he even wrote it down so future DO's would know :)

10. I have a tat of a ship under full sail with "Homeward Bound" scroll, on my left forearm, at least that's what it was when Tattoo Jack, of Belfast, inscribed it in 1954. Could be anything now!:wink:

2BM

11. I don't understand that bit. Are you saying that his bicep was actually bigger than HMS Victory in full sail?

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

:?

[​IMG]

13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Father Ted: "Small, far away, big, close". His understanding of scale seems similar to that of a POET.

• Like Like x 3
  14. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

just been sick in my mouth......

15. Ninja_Stoker

Funnily enough nowadays it seems more wimmen join with tatts than blerks, although to date I`ve not seen a "Homeward Bound" on a female. I have categorically no doubt I will soon though.

Standby the mandatory metaphor regarding canvas under full stretch and Curry Sark doing a full power trial.

16. Does that mean that everyone has to show you their tatts?!! ;)

17. I have a mate who has a full on beautiful 'Homeward Bounders' tat done by Jonny Two Thumbs in Singers, it cost him a fortune. He's from Portsmouth and is a massive Pompey fan so he thought it would be nice to get the lat and long of Nab Tower on a scroll underneath.

He duly asked the Nav's Yeo (me) for the lat and long and went off and got his tat.

It still remains a complete mystery how he ended up with the lat and long of St Mary's stadium (Southampton FC's home ground) instead.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Ninja_Stoker

They do indeed - all applicants have to fill out a "tattoo proforma" detailing location & description of their tatt which is verified by the medical examiner. Any "borderline tatts" which are obscene, excessive or visible in dress uniform will be seen by the Careers Adviser who will make a "yes/no" decision with regard suitability for service.

19. Seadog

One matelot tat that has alway made me want to reach for the barf bag and call the police is the sincere declaration;

Hello?!

• Like Like x 1