Royal Navy Presentation Team

persona_non_grata said:
Attended a presentation a good three years ago now, very good then and I should imagine they still are now; not just because a 2* was present! Seriously though, recommend it to anyone interested.
However, it might be better if some of the more landlocked counties were visited more often, perhaps, seeing as they don't get the exposure that coastal towns might get with SCC and RNR/URNU units abounding about the place, not to mention the odd warship.

PNG
Out programme covers the whole of the UK including some of the most land-locked places! However we only visit places every three years. We work hard to get audiences and for each event we routinely send out 3500 to 4000 invitations to try and get an audience of 200!

stumpy

War Hero
ianthesmudger said:
persona_non_grata said:
Attended a presentation a good three years ago now, very good then and I should imagine they still are now; not just because a 2* was present! Seriously though, recommend it to anyone interested.
However, it might be better if some of the more landlocked counties were visited more often, perhaps, seeing as they don't get the exposure that coastal towns might get with SCC and RNR/URNU units abounding about the place, not to mention the odd warship.

PNG
Out programme covers the whole of the UK including some of the most land-locked places! However we only visit places every three years. We work hard to get audiences and for each event we routinely send out 3500 to 4000 invitations to try and get an audience of 200!
Bloody hell! Just wait until the day when all 4,000 turn up! :twisted:

stumpy said:
ianthesmudger said:
persona_non_grata said:

PNG
Bloody hell! Just wait until the day when all 4,000 turn up! :twisted:
Sadly it means that on average only 5% of the population give a stuff about the RN.....even sadder is that if 200 say they are going to turn up, 30-40% don't show on the night.......banging my head against a steel bulkhead....

Just got back from the presentation and thought it was very intresting to hear all about todays RN, I'd recommend it to anyone who has even the slightest intrest in what they get upto, cadets really enjoyed it and it was nice to get a plug from the team.

Very strange hippy chick type asking about the Royal Navys carbon foot prints seemed to be the only question that through them, intresting to see the ready made were Cornwals little boat was and it was no where near Iran honest gov PP presentation!

Met the mayor which was slightly worrying as she didn't seem to be able to string more than two words together, oh thats politics for you

WW

van_g

Midshipman
Could a Jim'l fix it type day be arranged for us long since retired types. It would be really interesting to see how the modern navy thinks and functions, by spending a day aboard a modern war canoe. Be good for retainment as well, we could tell the youngsters that if you think you can be sh*t on from a great height in the RN, dont hurry out into civvy street only to find some real experts at it !!

---------------------------------------------
Why put off today what you can be trooped for tomorrow

I am no longer working on the RN Presentation Team but they still need the support! I invited AAC and Golden Rivet to the big event we had in London in November......thought they might have commented on it by now?

Powder

Lantern Swinger
I saw the RNPT at HMS President in London, I think it must have been around November/December. It was brilliant though! Good job to all that helped out!
I didn't really know what to expect before hand, but it was very informative. I kind of wish they uploaded all the video clips that were used onto the RN website as some parts were very interesting. The Questions and Answers at the end were good too.

It was more explaining the role of the navy and everything they do, where they are and what their aims are. Like I said, Very good and I reccomend it to anyone that is even slightly interested!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I saw one very recently & sad it to say it was dreadful, long rambling & painfully drawn-out like a party political broadcast on behalf of "RN PLC", clearly scripted to kow-tow to the morons that read Max Hastings publications & actually believe them.

Not good at all I'm afraid. They used to be first class, but this one most certainly wasn't a good "shop window" for the RN by any stretch of the imagination.

The Q&A bit was badly marred by a set agenda of set answers which were entirely irrelevant to the actual question - it was surprisingly embarrassing, poorly attended & a questionably expensive venture.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
NS: Agree entirely! Bring back the Royal Tournament - the best recruiting tool the Armed Forces ever had... :salut:

Powder

Lantern Swinger
sgtpepperband said:
NS: Agree entirely! Bring back the Royal Tournament - the best recruiting tool the Armed Forces ever had... :salut:
I REMEMBER THAT! I went to atleast 3-4 with my Grandparents as they used to take my sister and I up to watch it. I remember it being so good, but they stopped it when I got to around 10 or so.

Yeah, they should definitly bring that back though, I would like to see it again.

i went to a recent one end of april and i enjoyed it and it was very interesting lecture. As im about to go in in a few months, it was helpful about the navy, and i had a interesting chat with lt. k ????? about life in logistics

Buko001

Midshipman
Even though I understand the presentation team is stretched, why are high schools not higher on priorities? My school is a prime army recruiting hotspot. Many also want to join the RAF. I'm the only one who thinks I know what the navy does, where it operates and what it has achieved. Surely the next generation is a brilliant way of spreading the word of what the navy does, especially when many don’t know what they are going to do next. Many believe it to be old fashioned and defunct because of the current conflict in Afghanistan, also that the navy does not operate in Afghanistan, which is wrong... It would be brilliant for a serving member of the Navy, even the area recruiting officer just to go to schools and explain what the navy does and run activities promoting the Navy. As right now there is so much potential that is being drawn by the army with 6th yr leavers that think they have no other options. Should the Armed Forces instead of waiting for the right person come through the door? Go out and look for talented personnel?

Buko001

Midshipman
I remember the best recruiting article for the Navy I ever saw was a 3D cut out of Invincible with a simulation inside of the Carriers weapons systems. Next to it was a 30mm simulation that could be fired at targets. That was in '97 back at the old London boat show.