Royal Navy Police

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by collinsjr, Apr 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,
    I couldn't find a thread regarding joining the RN Police and I understand you can't join them externally, only from within. I was wondering if anybody could give me any info on how to join them and what it takes to join them once you're serving in the RN?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Stand by...

• Like Like x 1
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Its tempting..........

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'll give a serious answer before the fun starts.

You have to be a leading hand in your source branch, or passed for LH, (IIRC) before volunteering and being sent off for appraisal and selection.

Normal answer is you have to fail in said source branch and there has to be two of you on selection, a reading one and a writing one and you mate for life ;)

Birth certificates are not required!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Thank you for that. Do you know if they'll be opening it up too external applicants anytime soon like the RMP and RAFP do?

6. Yes. Not wishing to be left behind by the junior services the policy has changed after many years and from Thursday week you can now join as a Navy copper.

7. Because I have an application in at this moment for submariners and I have passed my RT, would I be able to ask to transfer my application too the RNP when it opens up?

8. Don't you mean your mother and father should not be married at your birth?

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

9. I think that would be an understatement just think of the wedding Photos with a sprog being born in the middle, could be embarrassing for the bride, in fact it could be embarrassing for the bride and groom if they knew you wanted to be a crusher

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Naval Police are a sideways entry branch and the Navy, so far as I'm aware, are not intending to open it up as a direct entry branch (just yet, but watch this space...)

As has been stated, you need a fair amount of service experience before you take on the role of policing and would not usually be expected to transfer within about the first four years. Besides being recommended and qualified, you will need manning clearance to transfer, if you are recommended from the acquaint course. Manning clearance from the Submarine Service is extremely unlikely in at least the first five years, so if you want to join the Naval Service Police in the short term, you ideally need to be in a branch which doesn't have a manpower shortfall and one in which promotion is reasonably fast.

Bottom line, speak to your AFCO. Good luck.

11. NJS would that also mean a branch with no manning issue would have longer waiting list to join the MOB, than a man power shortage branch? if so the issue would be, which is more important Naval Police, or joining the navy quickly?

12. Ninja_Stoker

To add to the above, I understand that a shortfall or manning requirement in a sideways entry branch may overrule the originating branch requirement. That said, I'm not sure yet whether this also overrules the "5 year minimum" that applies to submarines - it could be interesting. That said, there has to be a manpower requirement in the Naval Police before you can apply.

13. Thanks for all the help. Which would you say would be the best branch to enter the RNP if not the submariners?

14. Go for steward.

15. Chockhead, loads of them defected to the dark side!

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

16. Scribes, then you would be that very rare and wonderful thing, a crusher who can both read and write

• Like Like x 1
  17. But sadly not count!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

With any luck, Naval Police will serve on submarines in future, thus solving the conundrum on which job to opt for.

Must admit, it's always puzzled me why they don't serve on boats. They could do with a proper Sheriff.;-P

• Like Like x 1
  19. He or she would have to pass the part 3 or whatever its now called and I don't think a lobotomy is reversable

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ninja_Stoker

But weren't you a sundodger, Sharkey?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.