Royal Navy Pen - Charity Auction

All,

A massive thank you from myself and ex Bootneck Andy Bish who is doing that hard bit and walking around the Battlefields.

The winning bidder was @huwshpis with a fantastic £150.

Thanks again all

Cheers

JFH.

All, message from Ex Royal Andrew Bish, who the pen was auctioned for:

Wow! What a fantastic outcome - a fantastic winning bid of £150 which will all go to ABF the Soldiers’ Charity to help injured or struggling veterans and their families.

I want to thank everyone who has helped with this; Woody Turner, who crafted and kindly donated the pen, my good friend and shipmate @Joint_Force_Harrier for organising the auction, @Bad CO for allowing the auction and all those who bid for pen and particularly @huwshpis for a staggeringly generous winning bid. Thank you.

We are now closing in our target to raise in excess of £5,000 for this very worthy cause. More info about Team Bish, The Frontline Walk our fundraising efforts and a donate tab for any wishing to make a donation can be found at the link below or by visiting the TeamBish facebook page.

Cheers Andrew Bish

Last edited:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
JFH

// THREAD DRIFT//

I seem to recall you talking about going to Gib and buying Pussers. Can't remember where it was and can't be bothered trawling!

Anyway, down Main Street you'll find Pusser's at about £9.50 a bottle (70cl) with Gunpowder now being, I think about £14.50 BUT you'll also find Woods at £4.50 a bottle (litre!), so really, for a bunch of rum addled old soaks, it's a no-brainer! In general, the further you go down Main St towards Ragged Staff, the cheaper things become. There is also Morrisons, but beware - it is not always the cheapest option!

Getting it home. Now, glass is heavy. Liquid is, for arguments sake a kilo a litre. A 'friend*' told me ;) that if you decant it into a suitably sized plastic container, you can then put it in your hold luggage at a 'cost' of only a kilo. It is also less likely to brake in a plastic bottle.

In my case, we use a Holiday Inn off the Rock and by driving in every day, get much cheaper accomodation and a fresh allowance every day!

* This 'friend' may or may not have in the past filled empty tonic bottles with DF gin and empty ginger ale bottles with DF Southern Comfort (£6.90 a litre!) before wrapping them in packs of 4, then placing them among full packs, before driving back through the border..........

//AS YOU WERE//

JFH

// THREAD DRIFT//

I seem to recall you talking about going to Gib and buying Pussers. Can't remember where it was and can't be bothered trawling!

Anyway, down Main Street you'll find Pusser's at about £9.50 a bottle (70cl) with Gunpowder now being, I think about £14.50 BUT you'll also find Woods at £4.50 a bottle (litre!), so really, for a bunch of rum addled old soaks, it's a no-brainer! In general, the further you go down Main St towards Ragged Staff, the cheaper things become. There is also Morrisons, but beware - it is not always the cheapest option!

Getting it home. Now, glass is heavy. Liquid is, for arguments sake a kilo a litre. A 'friend*' told me ;) that if you decant it into a suitably sized plastic container, you can then put it in your hold luggage at a 'cost' of only a kilo. It is also less likely to brake in a plastic bottle.

In my case, we use a Holiday Inn off the Rock and by driving in every day, get much cheaper accomodation and a fresh allowance every day!

* This 'friend' may or may not have in the past filled empty tonic bottles with DF gin and empty ginger ale bottles with DF Southern Comfort (£6.90 a litre!) before wrapping them in packs of 4, then placing them among full packs, before driving back through the border..........

//AS YOU WERE//
Sadly no check in bag, only hand luggage :( as we are only going Friday to Sunday. To check in a bag it would be £40 each way so not really worth it tbh. Thanks anyway

Maybe worth a road trip with a transit :)

slim

War Hero
The Government have announced the intention of making Europe a an area from which Duty Free goods may be brought back from.
This is a double edged sword.
Do not forget that you are only allowed to bring back duty free 1 Litre of Spitits and 200 cigarettes.
While we are in teh EU you are allowed almost unlimited goods on which duty has been paid.
As many EU countries duty is far lowere than the UK duty this is a great advantage.

Still not a good enough reason not to leave though

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The Government have announced the intention of making Europe a an area from which Duty Free goods may be brought back from.
This is a double edged sword.
Do not forget that you are only allowed to bring back duty free 1 Litre of Spitits and 200 cigarettes.
While we are in teh EU you are allowed almost unlimited goods on which duty has been paid.
As many EU countries duty is far lowere than the UK duty this is a great advantage.

Still not a good enough reason not to leave though
You are only allowed one litre of spirits, 200 fags etc per adult through the Gib / Spanish border now, hence the 'various tactics' to get around this! The Guardia Civil / Spanish Government are using tobacco smuggling as their reason for all the spot checks and sometimes HUGE delays at the border. Not political at all, oh no.

Booze is cheap in Spain, as I may have mentioned ;) but it is MUCH cheaper on the Rock, especially for good brands - hence my extensive collection of posh gins!