Royal Navy on ARRSE

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by SONAR-BENDER, May 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was browsing our next door neighbours last night and there are some great threads about Pusser on there. One I shall comment on was about UKCEC being binned. Now, that would have interested me.

BUT WHY are great RN items for discussion going onto the ARRSE site instead of being posted on here, or at least in tandem?

Discuss.

2. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Better looking MOD on the RN Forum over at ARRSE.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Because this site (still) tends to turn into ROMFT levels of inane bollocks. There is generally better informed and more interesting threads over there.

4. What like the USS Miami fire thread?

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

ARRSE has better informed posters in the main, and a more active forum. Too many threads here turn into ROMFT as those of us who serve today are reminded of our total and utter inadequacies by people who retired from the RN before I was born.

6. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Quite correct Alf, just like this thread Hello Sailors!!!

Some good and some choice comments there -something for everyone :)

7. Don't talk absolute bollocks. When I was in in the sixties you wouldn't have been able to post comments like that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

True. Computers were either cracking codes at Bletchley Park or generating random numbers for premium bonds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I think you will find it is not so much that they are better informed, just that there are a damned site more members of ARRSE than there are in RR (many are members of BOTH, but that tends to be more one way traffic, with a couple of notable (notorious?) posters who have moved from ARRSE to RR). if you go by pure percentages there is as much inane drivel on ARRSE as there is on RR, just as there will be as many topics that are of interest to those looking for serious threads/debates.

10. I've racked my brain, but it can't work out what UKCEC is. Anyone care to enlighten me and the others who haven't yet asked.

11. Ninja_Stoker

There is quite a difference:

When you think the RM recruiting forum is purely for aspiring Royals, it's quite surprising when you compare site stats to RR. I'm wondering if the RR site stats are truly accurate as it seems very low numbers when you consider the of the thousands of matelots that have served.

12. Cooperative Engagement Capability - Something that MoD looked at buying off the USN

13. This is my own opinion, but I personally think that the difference between the two is parallel to Soldier and Navy News. RR seems to attract potential recruits and ex serving members, the same people I feel that our Naval paper is aimed at.

If anyone has read Soldier Magazine it is aimed at the serving member rather than the retired, all the articles seem to be current and not PR exercises. RR is a good forum to read and it has some interesting threads, but we have
    too many dross question threads such as; Boot Polish which one? Which iron to take to BRNC/ Raleigh? Will I travel in the RN?

How many serving Matelots are on here?

• Like Like x 2
  14. ARRSE has critical mass, RR doesn't.

15. Ninja_Stoker

It's got masses of critics.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RR has got a higher BMI though :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ninja_Stoker

And percussionists.

18. that will be the booty bandies

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

RR has less civvys gobbing off and giving it large, by civvy I mean never served, never will but has seen a film/read a book about it so is perfectly suitably to gob off and go large on the tips.

Arrse is the same but has by and large because of the larger membership has more members with service under there belt is able to issue out more slap downs and have a broader service experiance to fight off the mongs.

I like Arrse, makes me feel clever talking to pongos.

• Like Like x 3