Royal Navy officer advice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sheffblade, Jan 17, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, thinking of maybe applying to become a Royal Navy officer, however I'm not sure which role I would prefer. The three I've narrowed it down too are: weapons engineering, warfare and air engineer.
    wondering if anyone could give me a bit of info on any of these.

is there a long waiting list for any? Are they all based on a ship, as if I was joining the navy I'd like to travel the world a bit and not just be stuck back on some base.

2. So not a Royal Marine then?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Haven't totally made up my mind to be honest with you. Never really looked into the navy that much, so was just wondering what each job had to offer.
  4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

here's an idea for you...

look at the RN website or use the search function.
  5. Used the search function but haven't found the info I was after
  6. I'm sure the info you want is all there, you are not the first potential officer to ask basic questions.
  7. Fixed that for you, no charge.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. I had actually wrote that before I thought I would be polite to a newcomer!!!!!

I thank you for correcting my non Rum Ration response.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Warfare Officers go to sea most, WE significantly less, AE less still.
  10. Be careful what you wish for.
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It's not a JOB, it's a life. I would hope the AIB look for a bit more keenness and dedication.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sometimes, it is absolutely a job.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sheffblade

Could I ask what your academic qualifications are, please? The degrees specified for WEO and AEO are quite specific. Which subject is your degree in?

You can see the academic qualifications for each job here:

Engineering | Royal Navy
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That is a fair point, it is a job, not a youth entertainment scheme, hence the pay. But, as Seaweed alludes, it does take up a lot of your life.

One thing that really hacks me off is when people drip like ten because there are menial elements to the job they are employed to undertake. One that really gripped me was the Mum of a newly trained MA, working on reception in HMS Drake. She rang to complain: "That's not what she joined-up to do" she moaned, "My daughter joined for adventure & travel". I thought "So did I missus and here I am listening to you".
    • Like Like x 9