Royal Navy Mine Clearence DIver

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Connorm, Mar 3, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there any tv shows that i could watch to know what the bomb disposal is like apart from the american tv shoe bomb disposal

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not aware of any TV shows but your best bet is to call in to your local AFCO if you would like to find out more.

There are some weighty threads on here covering many aspects of what the selection, training and job involves but a swift "heads-up" will hopefully help determine whether it is for you:

Firstly fitness - if fitness is not your thing then Diver is not for you. Likewise, if living outdoors is not to your liking, then being cold, wet, miserable and knackered is unlikely to appeal either.

If you've never had a taster of recreational diving, give it a whirl first, you may not like it. Try an open water swim in UK, in winter. Bear in mind a taster whilst on holiday in the Maldives is a bit different to diving in the River Murkey with zero visibility in a four knot tide, fumbling about with 70 year old high explosive, left loafing by a passing Heinkel an eon ago.

Forget about the "shall I cut the red wire or the blue?" romantic notion. It's more a case of dragging a heavy and volatile weight to a place of relative safety ...and sometimes making it go bnag.

Just to re-iterate, you need to be fit. Very fit.

Good luck.

3. How do you make things go bnag Ninja?

4. Ninja_Stoker

With dymanite.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. There is a reasonable section about the Fleet Diving Squadron in BBC's Channel Patrol which aired at the end of last year.

Not bomb disposal in this case, but the same guys, doing the same things.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Does anyone know the how long the wait would be for the the next PEDA? just passed my pjft and but had my rt test July last yr?

7. That's just 'bang' out of order, Dapperdunn.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Funnily enough, as a killick stoker I did the demolitions team training course in the early 1980's, in HMS Vernon/Bordon/Longmoor Ranges.

In them days, stokers were trained to run amok making things go bnag if they were in the boarding party and as custodian of the limpet mine disposal equipment. The idea was so that we could scupper boarded vessels - nowadays we seemingly just fire hundreds of rounds through seized "go fasts" rather than sink them with a single charge on the keel.

The last time I was ever let loose with high explosive was on West Falkland, getting rid of aged Army demolition charges.

"Whatever you do, don't tamp it lads"....."Yeah, whatever". Instant duck ponds. :)

9. I actually remember that original cartoon from, I think, Mayfair (other gentleman's magazines are/were available) about a million years ago!

There was a guy looking at a wooden crate with 'DYMANITE' written on it. Next box, he's thinking 'dymanite? , DYMANITE?' Last frame is a huge explosion with 'BNAG' writ large!! Still makes me giggle now.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Daily Telegraph, surely?

• Like Like x 1