Royal Navy Medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ReeceGibson, Feb 18, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I have my Royal Navy Medical on the 11th March & i was wondering if you guys could give me any information on what happens/what you have to do?

Thanks,

Reece

2. Terrible things...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  3. Make sure you can close your left eye and keep your right open.

4. FFS. Didn't the AFCO tell you anything?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm interested in any information you guys can give me, past experiences that could help me prepare. I don't have much information on what happens at the Medical. Like i said any help/info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The medical cannot usually be booked until you have returned the fully completed optician report form and the medical questionnaire.

Read the letter carefully - don't get caught out: Make sure, you avoid loud noise up to 48 hours beforehand, be aware you have to strip to your underwea, have a good wash beforehand, if you ticked "yes" on the medical questionnaire, be aware you can avoid a lot of delays is you bring copies of your medical notes relating to the issue - be aware this includes fractures, even if they were years ago.

The medical involves:
    A Hearing Test (avoid loud noise for 48 hours before)
    A survey of your ear-drums (make sure your ears are free from excessive wax)
    Blood pressure test (avoid caffeine based drinks, including energy drinks for at least 24 hours before)
    Urine sample/test (avoid protein drinks for at least 24 hours before)
    Beighton Test for hyper-mobility
    Medical Standards for Entry | Royal Marines - How to join the elite Regular and RMR Commandos
    Reflexes
    A brief survey of your musculo-skeletal condition
    Colour perception Test - Ishihara coloured dots (Minimum standard CP4)
    Optician Report Form checked (Minimum standard VA3)

A check to ensure you can independetly close your left eye (It's so you can shoot right-handed)
    Hernia check (lower abdomen)
    Weight is measured
    Height is measured (minimum 151.5 cms)
    BMI checked (ideal Max 25, exceptionally, for muscularly-built individuals: 28 )
    Medical questionnaire is scrutinised and a brief discussion regarding your previous medical history.
    The medical lasts about 20 minutes - avoid selective hearing. If the Doc says "You've passed everything except..." you haven't passed yet make sure you get the outstanding issues resolved

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. That was really helpful, Ninja! I didn't know the bit about the left eye, I might need to practice that one.
    So yeah, my medical's on the 13th of March and I was just wondering about the medical for female recruits.
    It's a pretty trivial thing, but I've spent ages looking and I can't find anything on the specifics of what is considered to be "modest" underwear. Does anyone know if boring and beige is the way to go? Thanks. :)

8. I'm no expert but I'm guessing "modest" refers to style rather than colour.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Can you, erm, describe in a little more detail please?

• Like Like x 1
  10. You will have to get down to your underwear to do some walks, push ups and the hernia cough test so make sure it isn't see-through and not skimpy. Just briefs (not a thong) and a bra with good coverage should be fine!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ahaha, of course, I should have clarified. I meant boring and beige as in granny panties of the extremely full coverage variety.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ...nearly...

• Like Like x 2
  13. ...ahhhh! All done. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  14. "Spillage on post #13!"
    "Spillage on post #13!"

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ninja_Stoker

"Sturdy" is the best description for lingerie to be worn during the medical. We've sadly lost too many heterosexual male Doctors due to young females wearing scanty frillies. Potential Royal Marines, similarly dressed, are pretty much expected to flaunt the advice. Occasionally, the male & female Doctors do tell us that going Commando leaves an indelible impression.

In short, common sense.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Full webbing is guaranteed a pass, you'll need to post phots on here so we can advise though ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perverts.

Posted from Hell using Lucifer's mobile.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Here's a few tips and pointers on this aspect: wink test - the solution

19. Spoilsport!
    :toothy8:

20. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Turn up to my examination dressed like that and you've failed.

• Like Like x 1