Royal Navy medical?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by LFC_4life, Oct 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently in the application process for joining the RN I have got my RT test in November and am going to be a weapons engineer and I have a few questions about the medical?

How long will it be before my medical after I have the RT test?

And I have clicks in my, knees like when they are in a certain position they will click but they cause no pain at all and I can run all day long and they still wont hurt but I was wondering if the doc would still fail me for medical reasons?

Also an off topic question what does everyone wear when going to the afco RT test is it formal or just casual?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It depends on how busy your AFCO are. Generally you can expect to undergo an eye test & return a completed medical questionnaire before a medical is booked. Theoretically the medical should be two weeks after the RT, the reality tends to be nearer a month in the busier offices.

Noisy knees aren't necessarily a bar to entry according to the medical standards for entry however if there is an underlying problem then it may require further scrutiny.

You can wear top hat, tails & bow-tie if you want to create a lasting impression at the RT, but most wear 'casual' (tee-shirt, trainers & jeans/trackie bottoms).
  3. I had my RT on 21/9/09 and got an e-mail the next day advising that I'd been booked in for my medical on the 15th October so just shy of a month for London. Only got the paperwork (medical questionnaire, security clearance form, eyetest forms) this Saturday past but thats probably because of the postscum being on strike. Good luck
  4. I am applying through the Manchester AFCO, my medical is on the same day as the recruiting test.

"Selection will commence at 0830 until approximately 1400 and will include a psychometric test and if successful a full medical examination."
  5. thanks for all the answers from every one and god bless this site, im still shitting it but will just have to go and see. I have been taking joint aid tablets and doing knee exersices before and after every run and it is helping so maybe i will be fine but thanks again....
  6. i had my RT last friday, interview today and medical tomorrow, does anyone know how long it will take to get the date for the PJFT?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Assuming you pass the medical, you have 7 days to book your PJFT & 28 days in which to take it.

Good luck.
  8. How do they test the joints and ligaments during the medical???????
  9. Its just simple stuff like touch your toes, bend your leg, put your leg up and push against some resistance, they might tap your knee cap with a little hammer. Don't panic about the medical, its really quite straightforward
  10. Could anyone provide a list of what's on the medical questionnaire?
  11. I've always had clicking knees and ankles I was told as long as there is no pain it's not an issue I that was by a physio who was an ex POPTI and had recently been working with a premier league football club.
    I don't think it will be an issue although I'm just an ex WE not a medic of any kind.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

This thread was made several years ago, the content no longer correct with regard selection.

The medical questionnaire, for those interested, covers your entire medical history.
  13. I'm concerned because I have something in my medical history from when I was a child that actually isn't true (was desperate to not get sent to school due to getting horrifically bullied so I lied to my mum and was made to go to the doctor). I don't want to put it on my form but I don't want it to look like I've lied to get in either...any advice?
  14. Ninja_Stoker

When you fill out your medical questionnaire, you also sign a consent form granting access to your medical history.

It is best to be honest & upfront. Talk to your GP about your medical history and take copies of any supporting evidence to demonstrate full recovery without recurrence.