Royal navy medical (submarines)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by James3710, May 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys im new to the forum. Sorry if this is in the wrong place and for the barage of questions i am about to ask.

I have my medical on the 31st of this month (i have applied for the submarines if thats relevant) and i have had a search but cant seem to find exactly what im looking for. Any help is much appreciated.

1. how long does the medical last
    2. Does the doctor have your full medical history or is it just the questionnaire i have already filled out.
    3. Lastly do i find out if i've passed or failed on the day or will it be a few days/weeks.

Thanks for any help and sorry if these questions seem 'nooby' or if you get them all the time.

James

2. Your questions are asked on an approximately weekly basis. I fail to see how they are relevant to anything or how they will help you. If you have been truthful on your form than you should have nothing to worry about.

3. I see, thanks for the reply and yes i have filled to form to best of my knowledge. sorry to annoy again the only one i really wanted to know was usually do you find out there and then if you have past or failed

4. 1. Medical lasts about an hour
    2. Don't know I think they go on your questionnaire, but can check your records later.
    3. I was told there and then, but then your urine test isn't done there and then, so unless your piss melts the sample pot you won't know right away.

5. When I had mine, my urine was tested and binned there and then. He put a stick in it to test it. Might be different elsewhere though.

6. I did it today.
    1)It lasted for around 30 minutes
    2)The only information the doctor had was what id given him
    3) You find out there and then.

I failed on having blocked ears and needing to do a "peak flow diary" for a month as I had asthma as an infant. should be retested in 1-3 months

EDIT: it seemed because I failed my medical history has been requested but not sure if this happens to everyone.

7. Does anyone actually pass on the first attempt? At least 2 out of the 3 who were there when I did mine were TMU (me cause I have a slight pigeon chest, other bloke was 4 kilos too heavy, we both left before the 3rd bloke did his)

8. Yes I did.

9. thanks for all the replies guys. Final question does anyone know if the minimum 65 kg weight is what you need to be or is it about bmi ? im only 60kg but my bmi is 18.5 ?

10. James, the 65 kg minimum only applies to Royal Marines, who have to weigh at least 65 kg before taking the PRMC or starting New Entry Training.

11. About the BMI, when I went for my medical mine was 19.5, and she didn't mention anything about it

12. 65 KG is only for Royal Marines its based on your BMI I think.