Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Navy Medical - BMI

Scorpio1986

Badgeman
Hi all,

My application to tranfer from the REME has been accepted, however i am a little concerned with regards the medical that i need to do at the local AFCO.

I am currently MFD and pass PFAs at 10mins etc etc. I have seen that they assess you against the BMI charts.

I am 6ft 1, and i weigh 231 Lbs, i am not a small man by any means but i am certainly not fat either!!

Has anyone had problems with this medical? They will obviously have full access to my Army medical documents.

thanks

MoMorris

Midshipman
I got pulled up for BMI. All they do is put you on a diet and you have to report to the MO every month for a BMI check up. Not sure about transferring though

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Your BMI needs to be 28 or less to be passed fit to enter the RN or RM. It's a common issue with rugby players, body builders & re-entrant Royal Marines & Divers.

The Doc will also take a waist measurement to assess body fat and determine a target weight to achieve, given a combination of these factors and BMI.

Scorpio1986

Badgeman
So what you are saying is that if i am over a BMI of 28 they will put me down as a fail? Bit extreme considering i still pass PFA's and other Military tests.

So i have to drop the weight to ensure i get a pass?? somehow...........

Scorpio1986

Badgeman
Surely by the time most of us are 40+ a majority of us are fucked some way or other with the PT we do in the forces? Just find it strange when I'm already in the forces and fully fit and healthy according to military doctors. That includes the fact that I'm over 28 on the bmi. Well best smash out some fat burning sessions to drop the weight, only 6kg to loose.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
So what you are saying is that if i am over a BMI of 28 they will put me down as a fail? Bit extreme considering i still pass PFA's and other Military tests.

So i have to drop the weight to ensure i get a pass?? somehow...........
It's the doc's shout basically. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Scorpio1986

Badgeman
Full respect to you. I don't intend to offend anyone. This could be one difference between the Army and Navy. I will be glad when hopefully I won't have to do any more weighted runs/marches or at least not as many.

Zeb

Lantern Swinger
The bmi guidelines can be a bit ridiculous. My 17 year old sons was too low but he was just a growing lad. He had to fatten himself up with mutant mass shakes to pass it. Worked though and now he's fine just eating normally

Stirlin

War Hero
Full respect to you. I don't intend to offend anyone. This could be one difference between the Army and Navy. I will be glad when hopefully I won't have to do any more weighted runs/marches or at least not as many.
3 elder brothers , 2 of which were Coldstream Guards and 1 Royal Corps of Transport ......no knee problems.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
AFPS 15 pays out at 55? Unless I'm very mistaken?
https://forcespensionsociety.org/pensions-explained/afps-15-2/
  • Non-contributory & defined benefit (but career average rather than final salary) scheme.
  • All personnel will be transferred onto the new scheme except those born before 1 Apr 67 who will remain on their existing scheme
  • Pension rights accrued for those who were on AFPS 75 or AFPS 05 are protected are protected, including Immediate Pension, EDP and Commutation and will be paid out when expected. These benefits will be valued at salary and rank on exit from the Armed Forces.
  • One scheme for all – including Reservists who become pensionable for the first time.
  • A pension accrual rate of 1/47th for all.
  • Normal pension age of 60 but the pension can be taken earlier (from 55).
  • Deferred Pension (previously known as the Preserved Pension) linked to the individual’s State Pension Age
  • Early Departure Payment Scheme for those with 20 years’ service and aged 40 (both not either or)
  • No ‘automatic’ lump sum after full career but can generate by commuting pension income.
  • Dependant’s pensions, Ill-Health Pensions and Death-in-Service benefits in line with AFPS 05 provisions
  • A break of five years or less will be treated as continuous service after retirement.
  • There is no limit on the number of years pension benefits can be accrued unlike the 34 years of AFPS 75 and the 40 Years for AFPS 15

photface

Lantern Swinger
I keep reading different BMI numbers! I'm reading in some posts it has to be 25 and on other posts it can be 28...so which is it? I'm currently losing some weight to get to BMI 25 but if I can get in with a BMI of up to 28 then there is no problem as mine is 26.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Royal Navy Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
L Royal Navy medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N Royal Navy Medical - Peptic Ulcers Health & Fitness 1
V Royal Navy medical concerns, bankark shoulder repair Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Royal Navy Medical and Migraines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Royal Navy Medical Health & Fitness 25
W royal navy medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
C Royal Navy medical, Broken hand, problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Royal Navy Medical Concern Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
C Royal Navy Recruitment Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Royal navy medical (submarines) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
SerkJ Royal Navy Medical Question Health & Fitness 15
I Royal Navy Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
L Royal Navy medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 36