Royal Navy Medical - BMI

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scorpio1986, Oct 1, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

My application to tranfer from the REME has been accepted, however i am a little concerned with regards the medical that i need to do at the local AFCO.

I am currently MFD and pass PFAs at 10mins etc etc. I have seen that they assess you against the BMI charts.

I am 6ft 1, and i weigh 231 Lbs, i am not a small man by any means but i am certainly not fat either!!

Has anyone had problems with this medical? They will obviously have full access to my Army medical documents.

2. I got pulled up for BMI. All they do is put you on a diet and you have to report to the MO every month for a BMI check up. Not sure about transferring though
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your BMI needs to be 28 or less to be passed fit to enter the RN or RM. It's a common issue with rugby players, body builders & re-entrant Royal Marines & Divers.

The Doc will also take a waist measurement to assess body fat and determine a target weight to achieve, given a combination of these factors and BMI.
  4. So what you are saying is that if i am over a BMI of 28 they will put me down as a fail? Bit extreme considering i still pass PFA's and other Military tests.

So i have to drop the weight to ensure i get a pass?? somehow...........
  5. Surely by the time most of us are 40+ a majority of us are fucked some way or other with the PT we do in the forces? Just find it strange when I'm already in the forces and fully fit and healthy according to military doctors. That includes the fact that I'm over 28 on the bmi. Well best smash out some fat burning sessions to drop the weight, only 6kg to loose.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

It's the doc's shout basically. Expect the worst, hope for the best.
  7. You assume ? , check out the number of ex-serving who post in this thread ....
    I am 63 , 6'- 1'' and weigh 11 and a half stone , currently attempting to reach MY ideal weight of 10 stone 8 pounds.
  8. Full respect to you. I don't intend to offend anyone. This could be one difference between the Army and Navy. I will be glad when hopefully I won't have to do any more weighted runs/marches or at least not as many.
  9. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

The bmi guidelines can be a bit ridiculous. My 17 year old sons was too low but he was just a growing lad. He had to fatten himself up with mutant mass shakes to pass it. Worked though and now he's fine just eating normally
  10. 3 elder brothers , 2 of which were Coldstream Guards and 1 Royal Corps of Transport knee problems.
  11. I didn't say just knee injuries. There's a reason why all mod peeps won't see our pension till we are 65...........
  12. Seadog , PT , Guns , Monty , Ninja , AG , ex - jenny would disagree.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  13. I'm getting my pusser's pension now, I'm 58, how old are you?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AFPS 15 which we had no option on. you dont see until 65
  15. AFPS 15 pays out at 55? Unless I'm very mistaken?
  16. Ninja_Stoker

• Non-contributory & defined benefit (but career average rather than final salary) scheme.
    • All personnel will be transferred onto the new scheme except those born before 1 Apr 67 who will remain on their existing scheme
    • Pension rights accrued for those who were on AFPS 75 or AFPS 05 are protected are protected, including Immediate Pension, EDP and Commutation and will be paid out when expected. These benefits will be valued at salary and rank on exit from the Armed Forces.
    • One scheme for all – including Reservists who become pensionable for the first time.
    • A pension accrual rate of 1/47th for all.
    • Normal pension age of 60 but the pension can be taken earlier (from 55).
    • Deferred Pension (previously known as the Preserved Pension) linked to the individual’s State Pension Age
    • Early Departure Payment Scheme for those with 20 years’ service and aged 40 (both not either or)
    • No ‘automatic’ lump sum after full career but can generate by commuting pension income.
    • Dependant’s pensions, Ill-Health Pensions and Death-in-Service benefits in line with AFPS 05 provisions
    • A break of five years or less will be treated as continuous service after retirement.
    • There is no limit on the number of years pension benefits can be accrued unlike the 34 years of AFPS 75 and the 40 Years for AFPS 15
  17. learnt more about the pension just now then i have on all the BS pension briefs that we have had over the past year.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I keep reading different BMI numbers! I'm reading in some posts it has to be 25 and on other posts it can be which is it? I'm currently losing some weight to get to BMI 25 but if I can get in with a BMI of up to 28 then there is no problem as mine is 26.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

25 is the ideal maximum but the doc can apply discretion up to 28 for those muscularly built.