Royal Navy Medical and Migraines

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Chandler, Oct 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I applied for the navy about 2 years ago. My medical was 18 months ago and i still have 6 months until my next one. I was told that i had a 2 year wait due to migraines which i can fully understand, however i am concerned by the fact the Navy examiner told me that even then he may suggest that i still am not to be allowed entry. The reason for my migraines which i neglected to mention (thinking the reason would not be relevant) that after going to the dentist and being told it was through grinding my teeth due to 2 severe cavities. these cavities were removed and therefore i no longer got the migraines.

Can this still mean that i will get refused entry for service? I am applying as a warfare officer on a submarine. if it is possibly that i am refused entry, are there any other roles where i may still be accepted to?

Thank you in advance.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Failure to disclose pre-existing conditions can in itself be a bar to entry.

That said, migraine is obviously a significant issue and not compatible with an operational role in any of the UK Armed Forces. It goes without saying a sufferer can hardly be excused to lie down in a darkened room in the heat of battle - an extremely stressful situation without any physical impairment.

Once a couple of years have elapsed, completely symptom and treatment-free, then there's a reasonable chance it will be accepted that the triggering factors of the condition are no longer present.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thank you for your help. I have been working hard these last 18 months to make sure that I am fit enough for the training i just hope it is enough to get the chance to serve my country doing a job I have wanted for so long!
    • Like Like x 1