Royal Navy medal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bikerman, Mar 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not that I ever would but found this surf t'web. Just wondering if anyone out there would ever buy the thing. The only reason I can think of is if you left your time without a gong and want some bling.

Royal Navy Medal | British Service Medal with Navy Emblem

What does the masses of RR think of this?

2. They're cheap tacky shite.

My old man bought himself a couple because he thought he deserved them (National Service medal was one of them) and I know one sad git who wears the International Submariners Medal and the Cold War Medal, both at £30 odd quid a pop.

But whatever floats your boat and if you want to look good on remembrance parades, As long as they're not worn on the same row as legit medals there's nothing you can do about it.

3. that site must be a walts wet dream..

4. Bit strange having a crown on it,makes it look a bit "real" don't you think?

5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

6. Can you get a medal for STDs?

7. A good compromise is to wear your STC medal behind your left lapel so you can 'flash' it when appropriate. I think I'm right in saying it's still the only gong struck in platinum, allegedly from the 'holy platinum sword' captured by Collingwood at the Battle of Deismaar. However, I think this is something of a myth.

8. barneysm
    Yup! VD and Scar..................
    Roofs

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Can I borrow them when you aren't using them?

10. Walt test

I've been on that site and was toying with the idea of sending off for the Royal Navy Medal, The Submariners Medal, The Cold War Medal, The Hong Kong Medal and I might even go for the Special Forces (are Submariners considered special forces?) However, not to wear but to frame up and put in my office to impress my civilian colleagues (I'd have to hide them should any real action man turn up). Much more impressive than any poxy Project Management or Six Sigma Qualifications. I could even include my Veterans Badge, my dolphins and the new Patrol Pin (Silver) once I work out how to get one. Question is, would that make me a Walt? - for the record served circa 1970 - 1981 ex Polaris submariner also General Service, rammed by the Baldur in the 2nd "Cod War", Guard Boat in Hong Kong, evacution of Cyprus was the limit of my own contribution towards world peace, but not my fault that not a lot happened between 1970-1982. Anyways, given I'd be buying them for wall decoration rather than chest decoration - would that excuse me from rabid accusiations of being a Walt?

11. The colour of the ribbon is the same as used on the Naval VC's before the introduction of the standard crimson colour, I believe.
    there are a lot of these "military Bling" shops flogging their wares for all sorts including a NAAFI medal. (Presumably awarded for either standing in the NAAFI queues on the old Ark 4D, or surviving the eating of their notorious pies). rather like the NAAFI are prices hyper inflated

12. WHAT!!! No Clerks/Writers Papercut Wound Badge in Gold?
    Something tells me the wonderful folk at Awardmedals.Com maybe just in it for the cash. If they can't be bothered to produce gongs for those who've served at the coalface then I'm sending back my Scottish Foreign Legion LSGCM ($NZ65.99 inc P&P) in protest.

13. If you could I'd have the medal and two bars

14. Would that be VD Scar and bar?

15. It would, and if you could see the munter from Swansea (great run ashore in the 70s) that gave me my last dose you would agree that I deserve a mention in despatchs as well.

16. There are always walts bragging about being "awarded" medals all over the place and various websites. You see em all the time.
    If it makes you feel important I guess go ahead.......

17. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

As is STC. The only place where such a medal would ever be flashed would be at the STCA annual reunion, if there was one.

18. If you see me wearing it, I'd have to kill you!

VD, Scar & Bar!

OSD

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Medals are like ********* - they're only impressive if you keep 'em clean... :wink: