Royal Navy, Marines and RFA jointly capture pirate mother ship

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Oct 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Good - let's hope the Eyeties will parade these b***ds round the Colosseum for a few days before locking 'em up for life.
  3. Nope, I have spent at least 10 minutes trying to work out what the missing word is and I am stumped - It clearly isn't bastards because there aren't enough missing letters so you are going to have to give me a clue Jaybee.
  4. Okay, BS, so I'm crap at counting - and yeah, it was 'bastards' I was looking at; for me, I'd set 'em adrift in a carley float without water, dead centre of the Indian Ocean, so that they'd have a nice long time to reflect on what it's like to be on the receiving end before they croak.
    O ar, and as you're so good at counting, are/were you a jack dusty, by any chance? LOL! :slow:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

jaybee48 wrote
    In the unlikely event that you found yourself in command and the further unlikely event that you found anyone to obey your orders and then, managed to find a nearby museum to acquire a carley float to cast them adrift on, you'd be in a world of shit.

Pirates are nasty bastards but they haven't been casting anyone adrift so how does casting them adrift a taste of their own medicine?
    Despite the strategic effect that pirates have, they are no better or worse than land based robbers and kidnappers. As far as I know,they haven't been accused of rape yet. Summary trials and cruel and unusual punishments are not the business of the Royal Navy or any other navy. There is some discredited crap on the web about the Russian way of dealing with pirates. A lot of shite is written on the pages of RR and ARRSE by muppets about how we used to deal with pirates. History GCSE fail!

You didn't seem to be too happy about Gaddafi's summary execution so what is with all this murder pirates shite?

Just so we're clear, I'm delighted when pirates are killed in contact with naval forces.
  6. Well, thanks for that vote of confidence, Seadog; however, I can't see how you would reconcile your joy at Pirates' death at the hands of Naval personnel with that claptrap you came out with earlier in the post.
    Whatever your arty-farty pretensions towards PC civility might be, the fact remains that Pirates are, and always have been the scourge of legitmate mariners - so how else are you gonna deal with someone who shoves an AK47 in your face?
    Invite him aboard for tea and bikkies?
    These prats know full well what the risks are, but they still keep doing it 'cos the chances of being caught are so slim.
    They aren't civilised, so why should we treat them with anything approaching civility?
  7. Because, supposedly, we are civilised. It reminds me of the story about the woman who told off a man for opening a door for her by saying, "I'm no lady!"

His reply was, "That may be so, madam. But it doesn't stop me from being a gentleman."
  8. Nice quote, M8; that's all very well when you're comparing like with like, but these monkeys aren't in the same league and don't play by the same rules that we do.
    Therefore to show any civility towards them is tantamount (to them) of a sign of weakness - this only encourages them to up the ante and makes them more dangerous still.
    The other issue is one of deterrent; unless these people get the message that patrols will fire on them if they're caught in the act, then they will continue to push their luck to the limit and beyond.
    The stakes are high in that game, so the reaction to it has to be just as severe, IMHO.
  9. Seadog

jaybee48 wrote
    It has f'call to do with PC and I'm not very. In most cases I'm just a bit squeamish about shooting people (or monkeys) in cold blood or otherwise cold bloodedly bringing on their demise. And although naval anti-piracy operations are not war-fighting, jus ad bellum and jus in bello apply so we won't be doing an Oradour sur Glane or Mai Lai on the pirates' home ports either. Sorry.

I note which questions you have evaded.
  10. LOL!
    "I note which questions you have evaded", Seadog?
    Now I know you ain't gonna like this, but you do need to know that I can smell bullshit at fifty yards and it's coming on strong right now.
    If there's one thing I detest, it's some stroppy sod with an (alleged) college education trying to appear to be clever at someone elses' expense - knock it off, please, and do us all a favour.
    As for your (alleged) questions, look up the term 'rhetorical' in the dictionary - with your intelligence you should be able to work it out for yourself.
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Humm the force is strong is this young new joiner. Jaybee48, take a chill pill, relax and calm down. Seadog is just pointing out that some of us (the ones in the real world having to deal with this problem) get a little fed up with people gobbing off about how they would deal with the pirates.

Life is cheap in Somalia so even if we started bombing the pirate camps it would no difference, another lot would arrive to take their place. These are guys who travel 100 nm plus off the coast in skiffs to find merchant men, they do not way up the risk of death in same way we do.
  12. I condemn any act of piracy but you need to consider why Somali fishermen have turned to piracy. The international community has come out in force to condemn and declare war against the Somali fishermen/ pirates while discreetly protecting the numerous Illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing fleets there from Europe, Arabia and the Far East that have decimated the fishing grounds that used to provide a living for many Somalis’.
  13. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Seems that a lot of the Great British Public (Wail and Sun readers mainly I'd have thought) would very much like us to flout international law and give these upstarts the flogging they deserve, what-oh!

There is no pleasing the masses. There's a hue and cry because we're too "nice" to the Somalian pirates - despite the fact that being "nice" to them is ordered by international law. There is also a hue and cry because Libya might have broken international law by summarily killing Gaddafi when the ICC had made noises about wanting to try him for Crimes against Humanity. You can't have it both ways... either you stick to international law, or you flout it and await fire and brimstone.

Thank god the Great British Public don't decide who wins and loses.
  14. Seadog

finknottle wrote
    We are not at war with pirates, Somali or otherwise. Anti piracy is a constabulary operation. Okay, so you were using a figure of speech. But then

I have never come across any European fishing boat singular let alone a fleet of them off the horn of Africa /Gulf of Aden. Your recent experience of the region may be different.

As for the other
    if there is nothing left for Somali fishermen, there is nothing left for anyone else so why would they be there? Notwithstanding that Somalia is a failed state and isn't in the business of regulating her TEZ if indeed she claims one, outside that zone is international. Your imaginary fleets can fish there if they want to.
  15. I would suggest for the same reason that the recent riots led to wholesale looting - because it was easy and they didn't expect to get caught.
  16. I would suggest that you carry out some more research on the matter. There is also the question of the illegal dumping of toxic waste off that coast, this has also contributed to the massive decline in fish stocks.

Yes it's a figure of speech.
  17. =====================================================

Strange - Poster F makes unsupported assertions. Poster SD retorts b******s, in the kindest way possible. Poster F responds with an invitation to seek the very evidence that he himself is withholding.

Reminiscent of a 'friendly' game of Poker, eh?

Puzzled of Portsmiff exits stage left, scratching head...
  18. There are no fishing fleets in the region now as there is FA left to catch and I am sure Seadog is able to carry out his own research, unless he wishes me to lead him by the nose?

However being a generous sort of fellow this link may help to get him started:

How Somalia's Fishermen Became Pirates - TIME
  19. Oh look. Another piracy thread where people long past their end of service date talk catshite. I'll watch this with continued interest.
  20. Seadog

Finknottle's quote
    makes the fishing fleets appear current. Spanish? From the Time article
    So, maybe not Spanish.

From the Time article
    Not a word you hear every day.

Finknottle again
    Doesn't stop the Somalis fishing and catching fish in the region in the here and now.