Royal Navy in the public eye

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by ianthesmudger, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had the opportunity last night for a rig run into central London. Two of us in No1s attended a doo and then wandered round and had a couple of beers. A few strange looks but nothing nasty. Lots of comments on the fact the RN aren't seen out and about. I think we should do more of it. What do people think?
  2. always good to see a man in uniform............
  3. Yes JC but you're expecting the male stripper....
  4. moi............. noooooooooooooo i have no idea what you mean......
    i keep telling you boys. im cute an fluffy...........
  5. I agree with JC. The comments are right though, one sees more foreign naval officers in uniform along Whitehall and in Westminster than RN matelots. Might I make a small suggestion for good PR: the straight one wear blues and the unstraight ones wear whites! :wink: :grin:
  6. Well I was on the tube in my 3's heading home after RNR. Yes mentioned no negative comments, the odd stare. If we are not seen about most people will forget they have a Navy and therefore see no reason to fund us properly.
  7. AAC it's not our job to's up to you to find out!
  8. I think a lot of it has to do with the occasion - if its an official do then (in my experience) JR's will put rig on, but the average JR isn't going to wander about in uniform for PR.
    You see a few at lunch time racing out of victory gate for lunch or to gunwharf cash point- but thats about it..........................................

Having said that some of the best runs I've had have been "rig runs" whether
    foreign or UK based!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
  9. Quite agree Brazen - should wear the rig for a reason. Just think we need to do it more had your chance!
  10. There isno doubt that the uniform can have what one could describe as a positive effect. Mind you I think the days are long gone when Jack could do a 'Rig Run' in the East End and get pissed and alnighters for nothing just for being in the rig. Even in the sixties a woman would buy jack a pint just to touch his collar for luck. And of course all the nice girls love a sailor.

All in all with all the concerns about public image letting jack out to get pissed in the rig is fast becoming a NO NO.
  11. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    but then i would feel as rough as u !!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxx
  12. But what a run brazen.......well worth the hangover
  13. I was in charge and whilst we had a very good night there's no way I'd allow any of my troops to disgrace the uniform....I'm too proud of it for that.
  14. Going around in uniform isn't generally the done thing in my opinion and this goes back to the Troubles and the necessity to avoid being a target. The Army have quite a different approach to this now and they're more than happy to wonder around in their rig - especially if it's one of those Garrison towns.

I know the Naval Service is trying to promote recruitment by exposing civvies to those in the military, but I think jack needs a better rig if this is to be successful.

Drab blue, badly fitting uniforms and shabby individuals (often sporting pot bellies) isn't the way ahead - more roll mats, a good baby oil base, and minimal cloth covering the vital areas should be the order of the day :wink:
  15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I had a cracking rig run in sevastapol, but it was soooo cheap who wouldn't, still got bits of a Russian admirals uniform if any young Jack needs to add some colour to his NO1's :mrgreen:
  16. If the Royal Navy is flush with one thing it's high ranking officers. Not too sure what the ratio of Offr/OR is but I suspect it's a tad high on the officer front.

Exposing the wider public to the average naval officer probably isn't the way ahead either!