Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Navy in British Guiana in WW2

Theo_H

Hi all,

I'm new here and I have a question. I'm working on a book that I hope to complete within the next six weeks. I like to have my facts right.
In my book the Guianas - British, Dutch and French play - a minor but not unimportant role. Now, I know that the Americans were calling the shots in British and Dutch Guiana and after March 1943 in French Guiana as well. They had their airbases there and they were responsible for the antisubmarine warfare along the coast and further into the Atlantic. I can find all kinds of information about British Guiana during WW2, but nowhere on the internet I can find even the smallest bit of information about the presence of the Royal Navy there.
Were they there in WW2 and if so, where and with what? All I need is patrol boat on the Essequibo River and some Royal Navy personnel in Parika and Georgetown.
They must have been there. I can't imagine that the British left it all to the Americans.
Any information is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Theo Horsten

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
Interesting question, but I wouldn't have thought the RN were very interested in Guiana during WW2, having plenty on their plate in Home Waters, in the North and South Atlantic, and the Med. After the Battle of the River Plate, nothing much seems to have happened in the South or near South America, apart from fast convoys to South Africa.

Re The Royal Navy in British Guiana in WW11.
There was a Royal Navy presence in British Guiana in the form of HMS Black Bear. She was an armed yacht and there was a listening post in Georgetown. My uncle, Alan Bradbury served as a telegraphist and were able to relay communications from the Graf Spee incident. They were also on submarine watch and rescued several crew from torpedoed vessels. There is a short resume of HMS Black Bear on Google. I am doing research into crew of this vessel re photographs etc.

D

Deleted 58790

Built originally as a luxury yacht for F. M. Singer, New York, USA of the sewing machine and called SS Xarifa. She was sold to the British Royal Navy in 1940 and became HMS Black Bear until 1947. She was then sold to Royal B. Bodden of George Town, Cayman Islands and converted into a cargo ship called Caymania SS. Sold in 1962 to Gran Flota Mercante Panamena SA, Panama and renamed Quiban SS. Read more at wrecksite: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?23

Thanks for this - the first part I knew . I have seen a photo of the RN crew but cannot locate it anywhere now. I am trying to compare family photos to this one. Any clues where to look?

D

Deleted 58790

Sorry . I could provide with the names of officers who served aboard her during WW2. I suppose you could trace relatives and see if they might help with crew photographs.

Good news. My uncle was Alan Arthur Bradbury and he was a telegraphist. I have photos of him in Guyana. I understand that he celebrated his 21st birthday with my family.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy And British Army Reduce Presence In Caribbean" RFA 3
P Royal Navy or British Army? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
Armouredcav18 British Army to Royal Navy transfer Joining the Royal Navy 3
soleil British Airways - "Royal Navy Officer Pulls Off The Ultimate Proposal" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil EDP: "YouTubes-Day: Royal Navy Daredevil’s Water Ski Behind British Destroyer" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy’s New Fighter Jet Flown By British Pilot For First Time" The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Mail: "RAF And Royal Navy Pilots In The Cockpit On Your British Airways Holiday Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Sail World: "Night Drama As Two Dutch Sailors Rescued By British Royal Navy" The Fleet Air Arm 12
soleil N. Carolina: "Fisherman Rescued By British Royal Navy" The Corps 8
Shock Joining Royal Navy as a white male but not British by birth. The Gash Barge 15
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 36
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10