Royal Navy Historic speedboat -" Skimming Dish"

Discussion in 'History' started by Dragonfly, Jul 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just finished the 7 year restoration of the last original and working example of the' Fast Motor Dinghy'- - " Dragonfly". Then I made a website to tell the tale. I just thought you might like to have a look at her.
    I have kept as near to the Admiralty specifications as possible. If anyone has stories or photos about these vessels I would certainly like to hear from you.
    Cheers. . . Erik.
    Here it is . . . http://erikpam.wix.com/rnhistoricspeedboat

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nice one Erik.

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Absolutely fantastic job!

4. Another little bit of RN history thoroughly researched and lovingly restored - BZ sir!

If you have not already done so in your inquiries, Erik, it might be worth writing to the Editor or the Assistant Editor of the Naval Review with a brief summary of your Dragonfly project. http://www.naval-review.com/contact.asp

Among the NR membership are many retired senior RN Officers who would have been frequent users of those FMDs and some may respond with personal experiences to add to your knowledge base.

• Like Like x 1
  5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

This is the kind of thing which should be a feature in the Navy News. Hopefully the NN still stops by and picks up on this. I am well impressed with this restoration.

6. This is a fantastic read. It's easy to see the sheer dedication that has gone into your project.

Fancy having a crack at Albion...?

7. Thanks folks. . .It means a lot to me to get your approval. . . .at times I almost felt that I was actually in the Navy !
    or at least the boat building bit. . . .lined -up screw heads and all that.
    As I intimated. . I will be selling 'Dragonfly' as , sadly she is just too powerful to use on the river here. I will probably put a Ad in 'Classic Boat' . . . .no rush. . .she looks just fine where she is right now , awaiting her new owner.
    Cheers .. . Erik

• Like Like x 3
  8. Erik, have passed your story onto Navy News rep, fantastic restoration BZ.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amazing, really impressed!

10. Thanks everyone ! For your info. . .I have just added two fabulous photos which I found on 'Maritime Quest' you can see them in section -- " The Story " , one from HMS Implacable and one from HMS Formidable. . .the latter shows the REAL image of the " Skimming Dish " at speed.
    Cheers . . . Erik