Royal Navy Historic Flight - Information Request

Discussion in 'History' started by RNHF_PILOT, Dec 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings,

Lee Howard and myself are trying collate the history of Royal Navy Historic Flight (RNHF) as it has never been particularly well documented. As part of this research, we are trying to create a list of pilots who served on RNHF since its formation in 1972. As an aside we would also like to try and establish a list of who displayed or flew our aircraft between 1960, when Swordfish LS326 was given to the RN and the formation of RNHF in 1972, including those who may have flown our aircraft since then for other reasons such as test flights for example.

If you were a member of the Flight (aircrew or maintainer) or know somebody who was, we would be very interested to hear from you.

We would like to know the following information;
    Period served on RNHF
    Types flown
    Any good dits about your time on the Flight
    Contact details if possible

There are 63 names so far and we are missing most of the above detail for a large number of them. We would like to fill in the gaps if possible and not leave anybody out. We are sure there are quite a few more than 63 and would like to complete the list by the time RNHF reaches 40 years of age in 2012.

We have already been to the FAA Museum and are in touch with both Pete Sheppard and John Beattie.
    If you can help us with any of the information above we would love to hear from you. I can be contacted via PM or email me at RNHF_PILOT 'at' hotmail . com

Many thanks,

Simon Wilson
    RNHF Pilot
    Royal Navy Historic Flight
  2. You already have the one name I know. John Beattie!

Good luck with your venture.
  3. C. O. of 814 sqdn.LT/CDR Michael Apps :wink: who purchased a Korean Firefly from RANAS Nowra, put it on a low loader and took it by road to Freemantle. For passage in Hms Victorious to the flight at Yeovilton. Also swordfish pilot of LS 32? from the flight, was piloted by LT/CDR Trounson with Vice Admiral Janvrin in the observers seat 1967 ( Farewell to Hms Victorious) and on another sortie by (pilot, Rear Admiral P. D. Gick; observer, Rear Admiral H. R.
    Janvrin; telegraphist/air gunner, Lt Cdr C. Topliss (1964 FAA review)
  4. Did Biggles ever fly with 814.
  5. Scouse,

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that although I was aware of Lt Cdr Mike Apps and will be writing him a letter soon. Any other information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

6. :wink: PM Fred Tubb ( chockhead)on this web site..... He was with LT /CDR Apps and actually towed the Firefly aircraft back to the ship, got a few funny looks from the natives and his way back :lol: :lol:
  7. Scouse I seem to recall an old type helicopter which I saw (late 1960-early 70's) which was parked at the back of HMS Vernon. It was like the very early whirlwind helos and had Royal Navy painted on the tail section.
    naval Gazer might remember it. Any ideas what became of it?
  8. Not this Wasp which was there in 72???? [​IMG]
  9. No it was much like the Dragonfly and was parked behind the Creasy buildings. Around 1966. Remember it quite distinctly as I was on the UC basics course with Colin Vickers (RIP) and can recall the conversation with him.
    cheers for looking Scouse
  10. A name from the past - Colin was very instrumental is my changing branches to aircreman. A sad day when Colin died, wrong place wrong time. As you say RIP dear friend.
  11. 824 "Mushroom Airways" sad day indeed
  12. [​IMG]I have seen this one at Chatham... maybe yours???? EX 705 SQDN FAA
  13. Could be, just wondered what had happened to it
  14. Hi Scouse,

Tried sending a PM to Fred Tubb, but the PM seems stuck in my Outbox and doesn't seem to have sent. Can't work out how to get it to send from the Outbox. Could you get Fred to PM or email me please?

Many thanks,

15. He is on Romft as well and lives in Spain :wink: I have posted a Thread on Romft for the Attention of Fred :wink:
  16. Many thanks Scouse!
  17. Mail will remain in the 'Outbox' until the recipient opens the mail. One of the quirks of PM's/Forums.
  18. Hi Scouse and RNHF_ Pilot, Feliz Año Nuavo to you both.
    I will put my dit on as soon as i get a break, from the festivities lol.
    However - I dont know were you got Freemantle from Scouse, i took the AEO and tiffs to Nowra which is about an hour and a half south of Sydney and returned with said beastie to Sydney. Ship and Bestie then sailed from Sydney to Freemantle. You must have drunk as much as me scouse lol.
    I am Putting a pic on to enphasise point, please dont take offence. Notice The Bestie on the bow rounddown.
  19. Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far with this project, I really appreciate it. I now have 88 names on the list and have managed to contact quite a few of our past aircrew and heard a few cracking dits from them in the process. There are a few I have not managed to get any details for, or been able to trace. Does anybody have contact details or know the whereabouts of the following aircrew?

From RNHF:
    Paul Bootherstone
    Mike Broadwater
    Peter Burgess
    TC Evans
    John Lamb
    Ken Lamprey
    Ned Stone
    Tony White

The following aircrew flew the Swordfish prior to formation of RNHF in 1972.
    Bob Evans
    Mike Rudorf
    Geoff Shaw
    EJ Trounson

Please PM me if you have any details requested.

Many thanks.