Royal Navy Handbook

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by SJRM_RN, Jun 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just for information about the new edition:

in case anyone had one on order and was banking on getting it soon.

I have just had an email from Amazon to say that the publishers have put back the publishing date of the newest edition to March 10 2010.

I had one on order and it was due to be out early this month, but now its been put back a year.
  2. It is obviously in the process of being reduced in size so as to more accurately reflect the size of the RN :p
  3. I got the same email. Pretty pi$$ed off as I was relying on some up-to-date info for my AIB. Although with the reduction in the size of the Navy, the absence of a Royal Navy Handbook would be a rather accurate account of the future.
  4. :roll: :roll: Thats naughty thinking SIR :lol: :lol:
  5. I'm still awaiting (with bated bad breath ;) ) for the 8th edition of the Idiots Guide to the RN to come out....

Ooops, er, I didn't mean come out, I meant, er, er, er.... :oops:
  6. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Age coming out again... What is the Royal Naval Handbook? Did it take over from the Seamanship Manual?
  7. Written on the back of a postage stamp in that case.

I still have my copy of the Naval Ratings Handbook (BR 1983), and that was out of date when issued to me. Also have a copy of The Admiralty Manual of Seamanship BR 67(1) (1979). Flicking through Ch 7, Bends & Hitches and General Rope Work and getting a little perky feeling in my loins. 8O

Back in a minute....

Ah, that's better. :p
  8. I have a copy of the Royal Navy Officers Pocket Book circa 1944.... 8)

Some little gems within that to be sure.... :lol:
  9. I agree with this. The 2003 handbook has all of the current navy equipment. (Although the 45 is a picture) The only thing it is let down on now is listing ships that are no longer commissioned (too many 42s and S boats) and also some aircraft (sea harrier, Seaking HAS 6). It has bits on FSC and CVS. It doesn't have a section on Aster, but it does talk about most of the other weapons systems.
  10. I have a copy of Nelson's Logbook....... :oops:
  11. Which he gave to you personally? ;)
  12. But only after he puckered his lips and gave him a kiss....[​IMG]
  13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

14. Ah - the Seamanship Manual.

There is a page on the danger of flies in there. It says that flies poo and vomit on food in order to make room to digest more. It continues that just because flies are small they shouldn't be disregarded, if flies were the size of elephants and they stood on your current bun.............. I can't remember what it said after that.

If anyone has a 60s version handy, look it up and post it. :)