Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Navy Freedom Of The City Of Plymouth Parade - September 20th 2013 - 1300

soleil

War Hero
"On a rainy day in September 1963, close to 1000 sailors marched up to the Hoe to mark the granting of the Freedom of the City of Plymouth to the Plymouth Command of the Royal Navy.

The 50th Anniversary of this historic honour will be celebrated with the City re-affirming its support to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines by renewing the Freedom.

This will involve a formal parade in the City Centre on Friday 20th September 2013, with over 200 Sailors and Royal Marines marching from the Royal Citadel to the Piazza for a service of thanksgiving. Although the title of Plymouth Command has long been removed from the Navy’s management structure, the legacy is far more enduring.

Many Royal Navy and Royal Marines units remain hugely privileged to be based in Plymouth, and this event ensures just recognition for the long-standing, warm and fruitful relationship between the City and the Naval Service.

It is also entirely appropriate that this essential connection between the City and the sea forms a cornerstone of the Ocean City Festival.

The Parade will commence at 1300."

Royal Navy Freedom of The City Parade - Show/Display in Plymouth, Plymouth - Visit Plymouth

Plymouth City Council - News

Last edited:

Guzzler

War Hero
They were a bloody nuisance in the Queens down the Barbican. Amazingly the two JR Writers (girlie ones) were getting a lot of attention and drinks from the wardroom contingent.

Nothing has changed all that much...

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I was in Guz yesterday, saw a little bit of the parade and taught my 2 year old to point at fat reggies and call them branch failures.

Two things that struck me:

1. Very few cap tallies with actual ships names on them, loads of FOST, Amphibious Warfare Squadron, Type 26 Support Unit etc. Very few HMS ones.

2. Loads of people wearing RAF shoes, the ones with the separately stitched on toe cap. When did this happen? Apart from anything else it looked gash having lads in various different types of shoes.

Otherwise very smart, seemed to impress all the janner grannies in the crowd.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I was in Guz yesterday, saw a little bit of the parade and taught my 2 year old to point at fat reggies and call them branch failures.

1. Very few cap tallies with actual ships names on them, loads of FOST, Amphibious Warfare Squadron, Type 26 Support Unit etc. Very few HMS ones.

2. Loads of people wearing RAF shoes, the ones with the separately stitched on toe cap. When did this happen? Apart from anything else it looked gash having lads in various different types of shoes.

To answer the first part, it's mainly those on inboard drafts who can be spared for this sort of thing hence the lack of HMS cap tallies.

Dunno about the shoes though.

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Dunno about the shoes though.

If its like the situation with steaming bats then the stores weenies take what they can get. We aren't really a big enough company these days to have our own designs of footwear. Companies cannot afford to have a production line running for us. Many many types of bats out there too depending on what, if anything, was available at the time.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2_deck_dash

War Hero
We aren't really a big enough company these days to have our own designs of footwear.

30 odd thousand pairs of shoes (plus spares) in one design is hardly a small production run.

It's nothing new though, my entry at Raleigh were issued caps in 3 varying patterns, some lads got the old school round ones that you could put a mega bow wave in, others got the normal ones that are current issue and a distinct lucky few got a Turkish made trial cap that needed to be ironed because it was so flimsy it acquired wrinkles.

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
30 odd thousand pairs of shoes (plus spares) in one design is hardly a small production run.

It's nothing new though, my entry at Raleigh were issued caps in 3 varying patterns, some lads got the old school round ones that you could put a mega bow wave in, others got the normal ones that are current issue and a distinct lucky few got a Turkish made trial cap that needed to be ironed because it was so flimsy it acquired wrinkles.

That's 30000 if we all need new shoes at the same time. I think that the rate we go through them you'd be lucky if we need 5 or 6 thousand a year. The only way to get economies of scale is to go tri-service hence the new 4s looking like pongo gear but in blue. They are constantly struggling to get uniform and some things change regularly.

Congratulations, Brother 2Deckingtons!

Despite your youth, that Post completes your entry qualifications for acceptance into the oft unappreciated fraternity of RRs PSOFs (Northern Branch).

That rare vacancy has only recently arisen due to the continuing non-attendance of our once Tamworth-based antipodean member.

The Membership Committee can now reveal that the particular attention which you paid to all those haggardly Janner Grannies was considered to be highly commendable and that fact finally clinched it for you.

You may henceforth roll down your left trouser leg, whilst expressing wind loudly and proudly, and may drag any unwilling two-year-old of your direct bloodline into your nearest Royal British Legion Club whilst being particularly careful to avoid the many and hazardous Mainline Railway Stations along your route.

In addition, you are also are entitled to that special privilege of terminating each of your third Wednesday's dispatches with a disapproving "harrumph".

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Congratulations, Brother 2Deckingtons!

Despite your youth, that Post completes your entry qualifications for acceptance into the oft unappreciated fraternity of RRs PSOFs (Northern Branch).

That rare vacancy has only recently arisen due to the continuing non-attendance of our once Tamworth-based antipodean member.

The Membership Committee can now reveal that the particular attention which you paid to all those haggardly Janner Grannies was considered to be highly commendable and that fact finally clinched it for you.

You may henceforth roll down your left trouser leg, whilst expressing wind loudly and proudly, and may drag any unwilling two-year-old of your direct bloodline into your nearest Royal British Legion Club whilst being particularly careful to avoid the many and hazardous Mainline Railway Stations along your route.

In addition, you are also are entitled to that special privilege of terminating each of your third Wednesday's dispatches with a disapproving "harrumph".

I have to say while I was stood in a crowd in Guz town centre, eagerly waiting to watch some matelots rigidly walk past to music, the thought did cross my mind that perhaps I'm getting old or worse still 'growing up'.

F*ck.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I have to say while I was stood in a crowd in Guz town centre, eagerly waiting to watch some matelots rigidly walk past to music, the thought did cross my mind that perhaps I'm getting old or worse still 'growing up'.

F*ck.

It'll never happen, that's why us PSOF go to re-unions. We can behave "normally" without having the Mrs there constraining and then giving the post piss up wash up (read bollocking) in the morning when you're hanging out your hoop and just need a good hangover dump and then back to bed (or the pub).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC Suffolk: "Royal Navy's HMS Quorn To Get Freedom Of Ipswich" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 36
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil VE Day 75 - A Royal Navy Retrospective The Fleet 0
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Royal Navy To Pay Faslane Tribute On VE Day 75th Anniversary" Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3