Royal navy fitness test

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
Question..
Is the pushups/situps as many as you can do in 1 minute ?
If so do they have to be consecutive without stopping ?

And the running test, the website says 11:09 for 2.4km but I've read on a thread that they've changed the time to 12 minutes and haven't updated the website yet, is this true ?

Thank you

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
Try the search function, these things have been covered many times before.
I've tried all that, if I could find my specific answer I wouldn't of asked.
As things could of changed this year for all I know and there aren't any updates on the fitness test for this year, the best thing I could do was ask for help.
Instead of wasting your time you could of kindly helped or left it for someone else to reply, just saying.
Cheers

Last edited:

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
I think that the fitness tests have a set number you need to do in a minute. (23 press ups comes to mind)
I'm assuming you can stop halfway through or whatever, aslong as you stay in the press up position..
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/fitness 2013.pdf - This is from 2013 but a good standard to aim for
Thank you, I knew there was a certain amount you had to do just wasn't sure if you could have a maybe 3 second break for example or if it was a bleep test.
Appreciate the response!

scabz

Lantern Swinger
Appreciate the response!
Despite it referring to a reference that's 5 years old, and including an assumption ("mother of all c0ck ups") rather than fact? Neither of which are any more use than Janner's response.
(Your welcome)

baldie

Midshipman
Despite it referring to a reference that's 5 years old, and including an assumption ("mother of all c0ck ups") rather than fact? Neither of which are any more use than Janner's response.
(Your welcome)
Just throwing in what I've heard from people currently at BRNC and offering the reference as a starting point for his fitness.

I would also advise just aiming for as many as possible as fast as possible...

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Question..
Is the pushups/situps as many as you can do in 1 minute ?
If so do they have to be consecutive without stopping ?

And the running test, the website says 11:09 for 2.4km but I've read on a thread that they've changed the time to 12 minutes and haven't updated the website yet, is this true ?

Thank you
Ask your AFCO. They will know. You say the information hasn't been updated for a year, yet accept information that is 5 years old!!
Stop relying on the internet for your information. Go to someone who actually knows the answer.

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
Ask your AFCO. They will know. You say the information hasn't been updated for a year, yet accept information that is 5 years old!!
Stop relying on the internet for your information. Go to someone who actually knows the answer.
I would, but I am overseas and it doesn't seem to be as easy to contact an AFCO as it would be if I lived in England..
Just wanted to see if anyone else knew, if not I'll find a way to find out it's not a problem!

baldie

Midshipman
Update - just received joining instructions and it says one press up every 2 seconds until you lose time or form
It is still 23 press ups for men

Taztiff

War Hero
I would, but I am overseas and it doesn't seem to be as easy to contact an AFCO as it would be if I lived in England..
There you go. Should have mentioned your communication restrictions in your first post. That way people on here will try to assist.
The problem is that we see many posts where the answer is easily found by searching either this site or the the official RN sites. If not online, the poster should contact his/her AFCO. If, as you say, you are out of the UK the old and bolds on here will help. But please make it clear.
Good luck

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
There you go. Should have mentioned your communication restrictions in your first post. That way people on here will try to assist.
The problem is that we see many posts where the answer is easily found by searching either this site or the the official RN sites. If not online, the poster should contact his/her AFCO. If, as you say, you are out of the UK the old and bolds on here will help. But please make it clear.
Good luck
Didn't think about that, I'll remember for next time.
Thank you!

tisAndy

Midshipman
I have my PRNC next week.

I was under the impression that the press-ups/sit ups was in a bleep test form.

Minimum 23 press-ups and 36 sit-ups if I remember.

Go on YouTube and type in press-up bleep test, and practice to see where you’re at. I do it at least 3 times daily.

As for the running, I’ve heard it’s 6 & 3/4 around the parade square (correct me if I’m wrong) - roughly 400m per lap.

Up to age of 24 it’s 12 minutes 16 seconds, I’m 26 so 12 minutes 42. Should be aiming for under 11.

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
I have my PRNC next week.

I was under the impression that the press-ups/sit ups was in a bleep test form.

Minimum 23 press-ups and 36 sit-ups if I remember.

Go on YouTube and type in press-up bleep test, and practice to see where you’re at. I do it at least 3 times daily.

As for the running, I’ve heard it’s 6 & 3/4 around the parade square (correct me if I’m wrong) - roughly 400m per lap.

Up to age of 24 it’s 12 minutes 16 seconds, I’m 26 so 12 minutes 42. Should be aiming for under 11.
Good luck ! Also been doing the press ups a couple times a day, I thought I was okay with press ups till I saw I had to do them in a different way, I'm at 20 now just going to keep practicing

tisAndy

Midshipman
Thanks!

There’s a specific way they’ll have you do them at the PRNC. Hands need to be parallel to your shoulders.

A lot of people find it easier with their hands out wider - so best to learn the proper way before hand I guess.

I can do 35-38 so I should be ok. I focused so much on physique rather than cardio which may let me down for getting a good time, but should be fine.

You have a date for PRNC yet?

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
Thanks!

There’s a specific way they’ll have you do them at the PRNC. Hands need to be parallel to your shoulders.

A lot of people find it easier with their hands out wider - so best to learn the proper way before hand I guess.

I can do 35-38 so I should be ok. I focused so much on physique rather than cardio which may let me down for getting a good time, but should be fine.

You have a date for PRNC yet?
Not yet, I'm overseas so the steps are different, I've had eye test and nurse phone call and now just waiting for the date for my full medical in person, soon after that I'll have my PRNC from what I understand.