Royal Navy fitness programme

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Zoidberg, Mar 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a question about this *Clicky*.

It's an 8 week programme that looks to be a piece of piss to complete, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to go swimming twice- or even once- every week. I work irregular hours at work and I never know what days I'm working- it's a pain in the arse. I could have a week off, or I could work 7 days. I can never guarantee anything.

Do you guys think it will matter if I mix it up a bit? Replace a swim with a bike ride but do the swim another time or something like that? So get the stuff done in the 8 weeks but in a different order.

I know it sounds stupid, but I'm not sure if it'll really make a difference and don't want to cause myself any problems or injuries.

2. Well if you replaced a swim for a bike ride I don't see any cause for injury because it's a low-impact exercise so your joints wouldnt be taking a hammering. That is unless your bike route is on a motorway 8O . The fitness program is only showing you what you should be doing, so ofcourse you can mix it up a bit to suit your lifestyle. :)

3. That's assuming you're already a good enough swimmer to pass the test.

4. Cheers, Yorkshireadam. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't make too much of a difference as long as I got everything done :thumright:

I did say I'd still go swimming, just not on the days allocated in the programme :wink:

5. I've not been able to fit in the 8 week programme either due to work, kids and wife related stuff.
    However I have used it to work out an exercise routine encompassing all the aspects, swimming, running, strenght training and have just added some circuit training.

If I haven't filled in the programme book but have made a daily diary of my exercises and results, would this be sufficient for taking down to Raleigh?

6. I was never even given a book to fill in, is it a must have?

7. Apparently everyone is supposed to take it down to Raleigh.

8. There is a PDF file on the RN website which you can print off, its exactly the same as the pre joining fitness guide they give you

its under
    careers- health and fitness-downloads-8 wk fitness programme

9. Alternatively, it's in the link in my first post :D