Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Navy Fire Fighting - info please.

trehorn

War Hero
Ladies and gents,
Didn't really know where to put this so happy for it to be relocated if required.

I'm running a very basic in unit fire fighting lesson for our newbies (pre RALEIGH) and just needed a little refresher on the composition of the RN's fire fighting capability.

The first team in are the attack party wearing AWD (No4’s), sleeves down, collar up armed with nothing but extinguishers – is that correct and how many are in the team?

While they’re in there the attack BA are getting ready. Again AWD with hoods, gloves, EDBA and extinguishers. Correct and how many in a team?

What are the black hose reels called. I have “centre fed hose reel” in my head but can’t remember if it’s correct. Do the Attack and Attack BA use these if the fire is not liquid or electrical?

In the meantime the main fire fighting team are getting ready in the PBI Gold suits (new version of Fearnaught).

As I recall the main team is made up of Fire fighter, water wall, hose handler, hydrant operator and team leader. Is this correct?

I’m happy with the rest but even though it’s basic I wanted to make sure it’s correct.

I know I could look in the BR’s but I don’t have access right now and won’t get the chance to look before the lesson when they are to hand.

Thanks very much for your time all.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Basically right Tre and they are called Centre feds. As for the make up of the teams I can only speak for the submarine side which has slightly different routines so not much use to you.

PM me with more info on who you are delivering the lesson to and I may be able to provide you with a point of contact at Triumph Squadron who deliver a basic firefighting package to Phase One recruits.

trehorn

War Hero
Thanks for the assistance guys.

I may be wrong about the centre fed hose reel. For some reason it rang a bell - of course it could be the wrong bell?

jrwlynch

Lantern Swinger
Ladies and gents,
Didn't really know where to put this so happy for it to be relocated if required.

I'm running a very basic in unit fire fighting lesson for our newbies (pre RALEIGH) and just needed a little refresher on the composition of the RN's fire fighting capability.

It's scary how fast you forget this stuff - six months ago I could have recited it easily, now I'm flailing back through my Fleet Board notes and files... (which I can send if they're any use)

Usual caveats that these are best efforts at an answer, not guaranteed accurate...

The first team in are the attack party wearing AWD (No4’s), sleeves down, collar up armed with nothing but extinguishers – is that correct and how many are in the team?

Correct, and I've got two down for "Attack Non-BA".

While they’re in there the attack BA are getting ready. Again AWD with hoods, gloves, EDBA and extinguishers. Correct and how many in a team?

Correct again, and two of them again; meant to be on scene within something like two minutes of the attack non-BA.

What are the black hose reels called. I have “centre fed hose reel” in my head but can’t remember if it’s correct. Do the Attack and Attack BA use these if the fire is not liquid or electrical?

Centre-fed hose reels is what I was taught at Excellent (EFSSC only) and we were told that, for carbonaceous fires, the person finding the fire should get a CFHR chucking AFFF on the flames (while giving your Loud Vocal Alarm until you hear it piped on main broadcast, and maintaining as continuous and aggressive an attack on the fire as you can without getting killed - just don't close the hatch!)

In the meantime the main fire fighting team are getting ready in the PBI Gold suits (new version of Fearnaught). As I recall the main team is made up of Fire fighter, water wall, hose handler, hydrant operator and team leader. Is this correct?

Yes for the Support Party, and don't forget the BA Controller keeping tabs on everyone's EDBA status.

Or something like that, anyway...

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
As I recall the main team is made up of Fire fighter, water wall, hose handler, hydrant operator and team leader. Is this correct?.

Is it not a 4 man team? FF, WW, TL and HH? Used to have a 5th man for MMS only as ships protector - think this disappeared though after the fitting of fixed hatch waterwalls. I'll caveat my answer with the fact that I'm currently out of date for ISSC!

When did a First Aid Hose Reel become a Center Fed ??

I'm pretty sure they've been CFHR for the 23 years I've been in!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst things do stay pretty similar and things such as CFHRs, EDBAs etc remain indelibly ingrained, things do change so I'd be reluctant to offer advice other than to say fearnought is replaced by the Gold kevlar two piece firesuit and fires nowadays are of course far less dangerous than they used to be.:angel3:.... Well, they are at the fire-schools, anyway.

trehorn

War Hero
Wow gents, thanks for all that!

I'm actually surprised how much I've remembered bearing in mind in 12 years i've done 2 BSSC's (yes, i too am out of date). I've covered everything you've mentioned just couldn't remember one or two of the finer items.

I've been looking on line for a picture of the BA control board with the little clock to calculate the times but couldn't find one that was worth printing off.

Am i right in saying keep the hatch open because doing a re-entry is much more dangerous than trying to keep it under control, and of course it takes time for the fully kitted out team to get ready? How long should this take again- 5mins rings a bell.

Hatch open is always preferable.

Support Party time is officially 8 minutes but you would expect a good team to be quicker, especially with the new PBI Golds. They will relieve the Attack BA who have 2 minutes to get to the incident.

hodge

Badgeman
This is how we run it on T23s:

Attack Non BA - One designated Attack AFFF and one designated Attack CO2. Carry appropriate tool to the scene of the incident. Wear AWD (Nos 4's/Ovies)

Attack BA - x2 lads have two minutes to get to the scene 'on air'. Taking with them any fire extinguishers to hand. Get to the scene and are there to deploy or take over operation of Centre Fed Hose Reel or lay-flat.

Support Party - 8 Minutes to get dressed, on air and to the scene, taking with them any additional equipment (spare hose, AFFF drums etc) If the priority is continuous attack, the support party then relieve the attack BA. If the door has been shut, the SP come off air and then a coordinated re-entry is conducted.

Meanwhile, the WE gang nominated as Containment close up in the workshop and begin Boundary Cooling where possible.

As for the BA Control Board:

AAF

War Hero
Support [email protected] 8 minutes is too slow, if that had been the case on Fife circa Nov 70 the Seaslug magazine would have split the ship in half (base of fire was in GTR, directly below Seaslug mag). Fire was extinguished with foam PDQ, Commander E wanted to OPEN hatch to inspect damage, was advised against it by Chief Tiff, CDR E insisted and hatch was opened..WHUUMPFF up she went again...Chief Tiff to CDR E ''Sir, **** off''..fire was the extinguished by steam drench as not enough ''blood'' left to contain fire.

Edited to add, in those far off days it was left to the Stokers and OE leccy's to fight ship fires.. on fire fighting instructions from NBCD POME some other branches put Siebe Gorman extra lungs on upside down... difficult to find tank on/off valves in that situation.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
soleil Scotsman: "Royal Navy Helps Fight Dumfriesshire Fire" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Crew Help Douse Antarctic Research Station Fire" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 36
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil VE Day 75 - A Royal Navy Retrospective The Fleet 0
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Royal Navy To Pay Faslane Tribute On VE Day 75th Anniversary" Bases / Shore Est 7