Royal Navy Engineering Opportunities

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jamesfinley, Apr 11, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Was wondering what was the best trade for Welding/Fabrication? I've looked at some and the only one I can find that involves it is Submarine Engineering, would this be the best option to go for if I wanted to go in to weld? I understand that i will be doing others engineering duties also.

Also, is the RT hard? can imagine most technical roles will require a higher score, same as the RAF aptitude test,

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No job involves regular welding. As an ET(ME) you could be trained as a welder and be assigned to a welding billet as part of your career but whilst serving on a ship, it is relatively rare to need to weld regularly on a weekly basis unless major structural damage occurs at sea. Trained as a welder yes, regularly welding throughout your career? No.

The recruit test is pretty much the same for all technicians, requiring higher than average scores in reasoning, literacy, numeracy and mechanical comprehension. The test is similar to, but not the same as the RAF version.
  3. Would you say the Navy is easier to get into than the RAF (if you know that is)

Previously applied for the RAF and found it quite challenging, I passed for Aircraft Mechanical Tech but was told I would have to wait up to a year which meant sitting the test again...

Wondering if the Navy would be a better option after reading some of the roles it looks very inviting, just wanted to know if the RT would be difficult as you only get one attempt in a year, where as the RAF you get 4 attempts in one year.

Thanks for replying.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Those who prepare adequately and follow the advice in the practice test booklet, should be OK. Some tips here (it's the same test):

You get two attempts at the RN test. Anyone failing twice, probably isn't going to reach the required score anyway.

I've sat the RAF recruit test (just for the hell of it) and as already stated, it is similar. The key is to practice against the clock. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, etc.