Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Joined as radar, left as a controller. Now living a very comfortable life as a mastic asphalt spreader. Go figure.
I reckon it’s what you make it.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I am also an ex WAFU pinkie. Left as a POAEM(R) in 1985 and the only time I have gone near an aircraft is to get between jobs and holidays,
I joined BAe as a Weapons Engineer and during my time with them worked on SINS (submarine navigation systems) Phalanx and Optical gun fire control systems.
After leaving BAE I joined a company name of Molins who were tobacco engineers and travelled the world installing cigarette manufacturing equipement.
So any RN engineering position will give you access to many and varied fields.
What you can do is limited by your imaginatin
The tobacco place, is that the one in Cambridge, or by brands hatch (spelling).
Being nosey.

My eldest lad joined as an AEM (we don't mention the fact in polite circles!) and is now an NDT Engineer with an airline based in Exeter.

And the RN paid for him to do an HNC in Mechanical Engineering before he banged his notice in.

I also got an HNC (RN Paid) via Perth College before I left, nobody forced it on me however I knew towards the end of my career the City & Guilds 2 from Killicks Course wasn't going to be enough. Luckily the RN realised later on that they had sold us short and awarded us a NVQ 3 in Engineering.

Waspie

War Hero
The choices when leaving is a massive factor for me, I’m sure as it is with everyone, and although I’ve heard that being an ME can sometimes involve doing things that no one really wants to do, the path of future career options it will bring may be worth the sacrifice
My red bold. No - not true. I started as an aircraft engineer, changed to aircrew then once in civvy street I didn't allow my past to spoil a new avenue of opportunities.
Don't fall into the trap of mentally trapping yourself into one path and basing a lifetime of employment at the start of a long working life.

soleil

War Hero
Hello,

I am currently in the midst of my application towards becoming a Royal Navy Engineer, however, I am still unsure about which type of engineering I want to do.
The three types available are Marine, Weapons and Aircraft. I'm ideally looking for any advice which can help me answer the following questions;

The Pros and Cons to each different branch and what life is like for each while away at sea

Career opportunities for each branch when my career in the navy comes to an end.

Any information and advice would be massively helpful!

Thanks.

RNE

Just as a matter of interest, what do you have in the way of qualifications?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I also got an HNC (RN Paid) via Perth College before I left, nobody forced it on me however I knew towards the end of my career the City & Guilds 2 from Killicks Course wasn't going to be enough. Luckily the RN realised later on that they had sold us short and awarded us a NVQ 3 in Engineering.
I did an HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, paid for by pusser :)

slim

War Hero
The tobacco place, is that the one in Cambridge, or by brands hatch (spelling).
Being nosey.
Company by the name of Molins.
Based near High Wycombe Bucks.
Famouse for inventing the Molins Gun used in the second world war. This gun was timed to fire through the propeller.

RN ENGINEERING

Midshipman
It’s great getting everyone’s viewpoint and past experiences, I’m sure it’s apparent but I’m still fairly new to this navy stuff so it’s all amazing for me to read and see the community behind it

Taztiff

War Hero
Famouse for inventing the Molins Gun used in the second world war. This gun was timed to fire through the propeller.

I've been working with them recently, getting them to give me quotes for equipment.

Why did we become Mpac Group?
Molins plc, as we were previously known, completed the sale of their Tobacco Machinery (I&TM) business in August 2017. As a result, a rebrand was required, with the Mpac Group plc being chosen and Mpac’s history beginning. The name reflects our rich heritage and our focus on our position as a global leader in packaging solutions, the ‘M’ represents our founder’s surname and ‘pac’ is our commitment to providing end-to-end packaging machinery solutions.

soleil

War Hero
All my GCSE results are mostly within level 6-7 (A-B in old terms) and I have a level 2 Btec diploma at distinction level

Does this one sound good, then?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

Many years ago I had a brief dalliance with a new entry Wren at Mercury, she was always loaded and said her father was the MD of the company that made the packets for cigarettes such as Embassy amongst others. How many firms are in

slim

War Hero
Many years ago I had a brief dalliance with a new entry Wren at Mercury, she was always loaded and said her father was the MD of the company that made the packets for cigarettes such as Embassy amongst others. How many firms are in

It was normal for cigarette manufactureres to but their packet blacks preprinted from suppliers.
These packe were then fed into the packing machine which assembled them and filled them with cigs.
Molins were the inventers of the Hinged Lid Packet, until then most packets were either soft or sliding.
For years Molins were the only company producing the machinary capable of doing this.
However they sat on their laurals while other companies developed better machinary and when the Molns patent ran out were quick to capitalise.
Molins also invented and produced the pyramid teabag.

RN ENGINEERING

Midshipman
Does this one sound good, then?

this is what I’ve put down in my application but I’ve not fully applied yet, it does seem that I’ll be choosing this option

Perry

Lantern Swinger
I joined as an MEM or stoker in old money. I left 26 years later as a WOMEA and had various jobs in civvy street, mainly around the electrical utilities, National Grid, EDF Energy and such like.
I have been made redundant twice and had a total of 2 days out of work.
You wont be stripping the main propulsion plant on day 1 but if you work hard and learn your stuff you will get a huge amount of job satisfaction, learn technical and managerial skills and meet a great bunch of like minded people.
Good luck

BradyBunch

Midshipman
It always amazes me when people think about joining up that the first thought is what's its going to give me when I leave? I honestly never thought about civvy street before I joined as I wanted a long career. It soon became apparent that being an Aircraft Mechanic in the RN doesn't automatically open the career door at Heathrow, Gatwick etc...
I think it is a perfectly reasonable and strategic view on things.
Unless you plan to die in the RN, that is

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R What Qualifications do you gain as an Marine Engineering Technician in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Royal Navy Engineering Opportunities Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil RN Website: "Royal Navy Promotes Science And Engineering" The Fleet 0
H royal navy air engineering technician waiting list Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil Engineering In The Royal Navy The Fleet 42
J Royal Navy interview for Aircraft engineering technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Statutory Instrument on Royal Navy Police enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red letter day for Royal Navy in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warships monitor significant Russian presence close to UK waters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 36
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10