RN ENGINEERING

Midshipman
Hello,

I am currently in the midst of my application towards becoming a Royal Navy Engineer, however, I am still unsure about which type of engineering I want to do.
The three types available are Marine, Weapons and Aircraft. I'm ideally looking for any advice which can help me answer the following questions;

The Pros and Cons to each different branch and what life is like for each while away at sea

Career opportunities for each branch when my career in the navy comes to an end.

Any information and advice would be massively helpful!

Thanks.

Waspie

War Hero
Until you find someone who can find time to answer what is a very complicated answer. (Not many will have experience of all three, therefore give you a true pro's and con's pictures). Many of us have experience in one but rarely two engineering backgrounds.
May I suggest you use the site's 'search function on the home page. Type in 'engineer', 'aircraft engineer' or 'marine engineer'. That may give you a starting point for any information you desire.
Alternatively, perhaps a trip to you local recruiting office if UK based may unearth more information.

RN ENGINEERING

Midshipman
I was expecting that to be the case, the website itself doesn't seem to offer too much detail about each role too specifically but almost next to nothing about life after the navy. I'm also hoping that with some luck a current or past member from each branch may stumble across this post and be able to give their insight.

another trip to the recruiting office can do no harm :)

Waspie

War Hero
It has just come to me however that you mean this site and not the official royal navy site, my mistake
You got it.
Top right of this sites home page!
I WAS an ex aircraft engineer. But the job has changed so much from my day. I stopped throwing spanners at aircraft in 1978. So I won't comment as it may mislead. If you want an insight into aircraft engineering from a recruits perspective, dig out 'Maxpowers' threads from applying to passing out as an AET. (Aircraft Engineering Technician). Won't do any harm for starters!

Being a ex Wafu I would promote Aircraft Engineering however it does narrow down you choices when leaving, I know a few Wafu's who went to work on trains and few that work for BT however . I am still in the Aircraft World however in a Tech Support "Desk" job looking after one of our European C-130 operators.

I think Marine engineering gives a more rounded engineering experience that can be used in civvy street.

As for Weapons, I suppose 'Bensons For Beds' always need sale staff?

RN ENGINEERING

Midshipman
The choices when leaving is a massive factor for me, I’m sure as it is with everyone, and although I’ve heard that being an ME can sometimes involve doing things that no one really wants to do, the path of future career options it will bring may be worth the sacrifice

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Apart from playing with the sewage system there is a wider engineering scope in the ME which is enjoyable. ME's do everything from main engines down to the taps in the sink on the mechanical side, on the electrical side they do everything from power generation and distribution to the electric galleys and your bunklight.

RN ENGINEERING

Midshipman
People tend to outline or ask about the negatives in each role and not to bother with the positives so that is very helpful, I think I’ve swayed my head towards ME over the other options

Taztiff

War Hero
As for Weapons, I suppose 'Bensons For Beds' always need sale staff?
Ahhhh AAAhhhh AAAhh (sounds of manic laughter).
Who would get your hangar ready for you to turn up late and expect everything available?
Who would look after your nice little torpedoes whilst you were off playing 'oh dear, the cab has gone down sick on a small island in the Caribbean' (Hang on, that didn't sound right!)
And how could a wafu mention 'beds' without feeling slightly embarrassed? (Clicky bed anyone?)

@RN ENGINEERING , there are a number of threads on this subject on this site. Some of them are even serious!! Just take what the wafus say with a pinch of salt - not real Navy.

(Now running away to work!!)

PS Ex-WE, working as a Project Engineer with a Medical Device manufacturer - bit of a difference from Weapons but ALL RN trained engineers are capable of technology transfer with respect to jobs outside. It is yourself who decides your future.