Royal Navy Dolphin Clasp

Discussion in 'History' started by TimeToJoinUp, Dec 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Grandad recently passed away and I've been having a little look at his, and what I think are his father and brothers, service medals. Amongst them is a set of RN Dolphins. They are however mounted on a clasp, looks a bit like a tie clasp.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is it just a tie clasp, or perhaps an earlier version of the dolphins badge?

2. I think you will find that they are simply a tie pin, readily available at most Naval tailors or novelty militaria outfitters.
    May I just add a note about the medals.
    It has been the vogue of late for relatives to place medals of deceased relatives into Military Museums of the relevant regiment.
    This is done believing that their relatives medals will be cherished and held forever.
    I will tell you now that this is a complete myth.
    Most medals if kept by the museum will never see daylight again as they have thousands and do not as a general rule display on a rota system.
    Secondly, it is not unknown for them to be sold off as the museums shut or relocate.
    So if not required to be held then the best idea is to sell them.
    No I am not an uncaring mercenary git, but collectors that pay good prices for medals, especially "Family group" usually cherish them and care for them.
    Families after a generation or two usually end up selling anyway saying that they didn't even know the chap.
    The ultimate choice is however obviously yours but I speak from experience as a medal dealer, and one who donated to a museum, only to find the medals had been scrapped.

3. The originals were like that but they changed them to pins cos they wouldnt lay flat and tilted foreward and drooped.

4. Thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure it's the croc clip tie badge on the link WreckerL posted. I wonder why he's got it... Shall always remain a mystery I suppose. :)