Royal Navy Documentaries

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by joesafc, Jun 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive watched a few Royal Navy documentaries recently, for instance Royal Navy Caribbean patrol and Royal Navy Submarine Mission. Anyway is there any new documentaries planned for this year? Or is there any other good documentaries which are worth recommending.

2. Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  3. Joe

You would like Civvy to Sailor, the mini-documentary series about HMS Raleigh which ran on BBC Spotlight a couple of years ago:

BBC - HMS Raleigh

Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see all of the episodes in the series.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ive seen that before, its gave me a great insight to what training is like. I wish they would make more stuff like this, because a lot of people dont understand completely what life is like in the Royal Navy.

5. There is a documentary coming about BRNC officer training - apparently called "Dartmouth" - coming from the people who did the submarine documentary from a while back. It followed the intake from September 2011 through.

6. They've actually decided to call it Britannia:

Film | Tigerlily

7. Fleet Air Arm 1960

Here is a video I saw on another blog for those of you, like me, who are into the FAA.

It's an Admiralty instructional film from 1960 called Launch and Recover. Classic aircraft.

8. Ive been looking into some more documentaries, and I know channel 5 made a programme called Warship. It filmed HMS Bulwark, in the middle east. From the trailer it looked like a class documentary, however I cant seem to find the actual programme anywhere on the internet, and channel 5 have took it off due to copyright reasons apparantly.

9. Channel 5 have done 2 series called warship, first one was filmed on Illustrious during the Orion 08 trip.

10. Do you know where I could possibly find this documentary please? Ive looked all over for it, I cant seem to find it. Thanks

11. Sorry mate, I seem to remember a DVD been sent out to the ship when we were away but I think that was like a pilot copy to be played onboard. Other than that haven't seen it around anywhere

12. Ok no problem, cheers mate.

13. There was a documentary about mine hunters/mine sweepers that was shown in the cinema and was also shown aboard HMS Bronington on a continuous loop for visitors. Think it was called "a dangerous Game.

14. Pedant mode on. (FAO Shackles & Flags)
    There seems to be a creeping tendency to substitute the word "been" for the word "being", which alters the whole context of the message. Whether this is due to the current sloppiness in pronunciation prevalent amongst the young, or just a lack of attention to English lessons during schooldays, it is very irritating to those of us who were taught to speak, and write (pedant mode off) proper. Please don't do it.
    Fank you.

2BM

15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Joe,
    I would be very wary of taking these "documentaries" as evidence of life at sea onboard a pusser's war canoe. Do your research on here and look at these series, but remember they are made by TV companies.

16. Have I bean lazy as ell Pete. I can't help it been black, I not lazy I not stupid, I petulant.^^
    I come from a land down under.:happy8:

17. Where women glow and men plunder?

18. Thanks. I upload what I can... until the Copyright Nazis delete them.