Royal Navy Command: Tested To The Limit

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Tomahawk, Dec 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Boxing Day, Forces TV will be showing this which follows the Feb 2015 intake through the final stages of their training, including MARL.

http://forces.tv/72010484

• Like Like x 2
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Minor bump - is this available online to watch?

3. Want to remind yourself of what could've been if you'd won the lottery of life?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Actually its this one for me -

5. It was on Forces TV last night. I think I can state with some conviction that it will be on again - several times.

I found it mildly interesting but not riveting. Worse things happen at sea....

6. They made better documentaries in the old days;

• Like Like x 1
  7. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Happy memories of my MARL Exercise as CO with a useless, flabby, Kuwaiti Coast Guard man-child as XO. One engine failed on the Picket Boat to begin with, but that became rapidly irrelevant after we grounded. Grounding is an odd experience, in that even though it's never happened to you before, you know exactly what's happened. The seaboat team also grounded trying to send a team ashore on a spring ebb tide. They may have missed out me strongly emphasising the 'don't hang around on the beach' piece, given that my O-Group was given on deck with us all, including the US Navy assessor and a Lt Cdr on board as an assessor of assessors (referred to as a 'pinker' at BRNC but I hate that term as it's camp) rocking the Picket Boat from side to side to break suction and get off Flat Owers mudbank at the time. I sent the rubber skiff to shore to collect the required detail, they got whipped downtide, over oyster bed cages, rupturing the skiff sponsons and had to wade ashore with the deflated remains of the skiff over their shoulders like a large section of whale-skin at an Antarctic whaling station.

A Rigid Raider was despatched from the College to collect pretty much my entire team from the mudbank. As it ran in, it transpired that the seaboat had lost its first anchor while trying to beach, in a classic 'throw it over the wall but didn't check to see that the other end was made fast to anything' manouver. The Raider's prop fouled the trailing anchor line.

At this point, with a deeply daft OC from Trinidad at the wheel, the only course of action I had open was to get the kettle on. As I stomped down into the after cabin, the US Navy assessor asked me why I wasn't delegating this task to said Trinbagonian OC. To his credit, he saw the incredulous look on my face when I heard this and left it there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So,was it a pass or round the bouy? (Pun intended!)

9. Subsunk

Pass. The second, pinked exercise was a gizzit, involving pretending to do a recce for some field hospital. Land a team at Dittisham, they take sketches, report back, we waffle at the DS like we're the UNHCR, end of run, good run.

I think this was a mercy stroke after the first PLT. Besides, the DS who fouled the Raider's prop was universally loathed by the rest of the college, staff and cadets alike, so there had been a Brucey Bonus aspect to the whole thing.

10. Subsunk

Just watched the actual program on Forces TV.

Streets ahead of where MARL was in years gone - issuing blank rounds for a start, giving the cadets some live ROE scenarios, etc. It all looks well punchy.