Royal Navy clearance diver

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by caldee22, Dec 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have applied to become a mine clearance diver, however the recruiting officer at AFCO Bournemouth informed me that due to having plates in my right arm I may not be eligible. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or even shed some light on the situation?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Royal Navy Mine clearance diver

After applying to become a diver within the Royal Navy, I was informed that I may not be eligible due to having plates in my right arm. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or shed some light on the situation?

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You only need to post once.

4. It told me it wasn't working the first time, but thanks for that useless piece of information.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Angry Doc should be able to help you there.

6. Thanks, do you know how I can contact him?

7. And I can't wait to see the carnage after you gobbed off for being told!that posting twice was too much.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wouldn't call it gobbing of? I knew that I'd posted twice i just didn't need someone telling me so? I'm not going to apologise for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It only takes one post with attitude to receive a distinct lack of help or to be nominated for COTW.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm not qualified to give a definitive answer in this area of expertise, but pending a reply from someone who is qualified:

Beware accepting other people's experiences in this area as it is decided on a case by case basis.

The issues are diverse & few individuals have identical injuries and treatment so suitability will depend on the injury location, complications, restricted movement, localised weakening, whether the plates/screws/nuts/bolts need to remain and the risk of recurrence.

11. Well In that case I apologise for my attitude.

12. Thanks a lot, the plates can be taken out but I'd rather not wait another year to re-apply...again! The brake was in my arm and it doesn't restrict movement or hinder exercise in anyway.

13. Ill answer the question about angry doc for the OP before it all goes tits up. He will see the post and answer or you could PM him via the form PM system.

What the folks are trying to tell you here is you earn the rite to be gobby on this forum . Well done for backing down. I wont even risk that as Im a civy and just a dad of a forces kid who the good folks here tolerate lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Caldee

What prompted you to switch to Diver? I thought that you were interested in Air Engineering, given that you are studying that at college.

15. Well the course made me realise that air craft engineering isn't for me. Luckily I discovered this before I joined, I also started to find an interest in diving and I was looking at doing my PADI diving courses when I was informed about the navy clearance diver. I looked into it and as I'm looking for more of a physical and mentally demanding challenge, I decided to go ahead with it. The only thing in my way is wether or not I can join because of these plates. It's a bit of a weird change of career, I know.

16. The Royal Navy goes to great lengths to ensure that clearance diving equipment is magnetically and acoustically hygienic in order to deal with magnetic and acoustic mines without setting them off. Do your metal plates affect magnetic compasses or clank and rattle? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. That was the main concern, it doesn't seem to interfere with any of my compasses? However I'm not sure about mines

18. Speaking as an ex RN diving instructor..the other thing standing in your way is the shit attitude you have demonstrated as an Internet Keyboard Twat on this forum..... I reckon if and thats very doubtful, but if you managed to pass the PDA..2 weeks max on the course and you'll wrap....
    You have developed "an interest in diving"...not enough...an all consuming OCD type need to be a CD is the bare minimium.

19. Well thanks, all you have done is make me want to prove you wrong. A side from that will the plates effect my joining proses?

20. Learning to spell might help you.

Not just on here, but in life.