Royal Navy Charity Swim around Portsea Island 30 July

Discussion in 'Charity' started by Naval_Gazer, Jul 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In fact, there will be eight swimmers including CPO(MW) 'Pinta' Beer who will only have completed cycling the 1,200 miles between all 13 towns and villages affiliated with the RN's Hunt Class minehunters (past and present) three days previously (Rum Ration link).

Available evidence indicates that this feat has only ever been performed twice before. Please give these guys and their worthy charities all the support you can.

2. The team is also supporting the RN & RM Charity (RNRMC) and can be sponsored online via its webpage at:
    Project Vernon and Southern Diving Unit 2 will also have display stands at Gunwharf Quays, the former site of HMS Vernon, thoughout the day.

3. Good cause..good lads.... will try and get down and encourage them during the swim...I think I've got a box of ball weights in the garage !!!

4. Cheers Spider. Hope to see you at Gunwharf. I won't be swimming but I'm thinking of wearing a kevlar helmet just in case. :)

5. BUMP! This is happening tomorrow.

6. BUMP! It's happening today.

The team will be entering the water at Fort Cumberland (ex-Fraser Gunnery Range) at about 0930 and should be stopping briefly at Gunwharf Quays around 1300 when it will be joined by 12-year-old Cystic Fibrosis sufferer Ella Hamza. The harbour will then be closed for their exit through the gap between Fort Blockhouse (ex-HMS Dolphin) and the Round Tower. They should arrive back at their starting point at Eastney around 1700.

Project Vernon and Southern Diving Unit 2 will be manning static displays at Gunwharf Quays all day.

Show your support for the team and its charities by donating online via this webpage:Royal Navy Clearance Divers & Friends Portsea Island Swim 30 July 2011