Royal Navy bomb squad recovers torpedo

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Wonder if anyone got a 126 for that??
  3. Sounds like the Coastguard could be looking at doing a bit of a Steptoe & Son - what is the scrap value? - must be some decent brass in there somewhere
  4. :-DThe CD's would have ensured there was no value to the object before giving it to the Coast Guard, or at least they used to. You never used to see any diver without his magnet
  5. I saw more shiny and Seab Gorman fittings on a WW2 experimental one man mini sub we recovered off the Isle of Bute in the early 1970.It was in a trawlers net off the slipway near the kyles of Bute and now rumored to be housed in the British War museum London.:tongue1:
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  6. Sadly not. The Welman one-man submersible 'W10' recovered by HMS Reclaim off Rothesay in January 1973 was eventually delivered to the RN Submarine Museum at Gosport but was so badly corroded that it was considered beyond economic preservation. However, there are several other examples around including one captured by the Germans after an abortive raid by four of them on a dry dock and German shipping at Bergen in Norway in November 1943.

For further background, contemporary newspaper articles and pictures, see the second entry for 7 Mar 09 (RN Diving Heritage - The missing Welman) in News Archive 25 of the MCDOA website.
  7. What a Welman should look like
  8. "In you get chaps"

"Fuck off Sir"
  9. Thanks NG I've always wondered what happened to it very sad indeed. I note that in your photo that the screw is missing if it is the same sub the screw went adrift when Dave Shewen, Sharkey Ward and I from HMS Maxton handed it over to HMS Reclaim off Rothsay from the Yoyo that evening . We were invited onboard for a wet or two.The screw was there when we came on board but not when we left.The sub was found some months earlier by the Maxton crew while we were doing diving training exercises off Bute while the ship was in refit at Rosyth.We were told at the time that more than one experimental sub was dumped off that slip just after the war.Thanks once more NG you have brought back many happy memories with the photo.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  10. Possibly why these one-man submersibles were only ever manned by officers. :)

w.anchor - Glad to oblige although these were more than just experimental submersibles. If you read the story on the MCDOA website, you'll see this passage among the recollections of the Captain of HMS Reclaim. The diving team he mentions must have been from HMS Maxton but the facts had become clouded over the course of time.

11. Quite right too!
  12. Mk 9 torpedo similar to a Mk 8 but a skimmer version. In the mid 70s I did hear that it had been carried on Boats,50s/early 60s, but due to it being 2 foot longer than a Mk 8 it was too long to be loaded in one piece but had to be split and the warhead re attached on board. Any one with any more info?
  13. The surface craft launched Mk IX Mods 1 & 2 was 23' 10" long vice 21' 6" for the S/M and surface craft launched Mk VIII Mods 2, 3 & 4.

The Mk IX weighed 3,600 lb vice 3,350 lb for the Mk VIII. Both had a warhead containing 810 lb of Torpex.

Nothing in my sources indicates the Mk IX was ever embarked in S/M.
  14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Two things come to mind, would a Boats tube allow the extra 2'4" in length and why were there two versions of Mk8/Mk9?
  15. Janner - My best source of information on torpedo development (The Torpedoman: HMS Vernon's Story 1872 - 1986 by Rear Admiral Nicho Poland CB CBE) has been borrowed by an obituary writer but I hope to have an answer after its return.
  16. janner

Thanks NG, I'll have a search around and see if I can find the overall length of a torpedo tube.
  17. w.anchor - Please check PMs.
  18. I now have my book back and it contains these passages:

Other passages in the book confirm that the Mk IX was only ever used by surface craft but there is no explanation for it being longer than the Mk VIII. However, the fact that it could run 4,000 yards further than the Mk VIII at 41 knots suggests that it contained a larger air reservoir. This feature probably exploited the longer tubes possible on surface ships and enabled them to launch from a greater range; a distinct benefit given their higher visibility as targets compared to submarines.
  19. janner

Thanks NG the longer range/visibility would explain things, at first glance it appears to be double banking for no reason
  20. Sent today but not seen any conformation as yet in my outbox