Royal Navy Aircrewman

On a really good note for those joining as Aircrewman- you will now be rated Acting Leading Aircrewman whilst at RAF Shawbury and Acting PO Aircrewman upon earning your wings, bringing us almost in line with our RAF counterparts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd leave it for the time being as you've only passed selection so far, there's still time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :D

Have a read: https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/rejoining-after-dudt.69278/#post-1373196

Happy? ;)
Ninja is quiet correct. Selection is only one part of a long process. Not to disillusion you but you can be removed from training right up to the final day.

The new training routine I am not current with but if they are akin to the past where a three warning system was used. Any combination of 'Air' 'Ground' and 'Attitude' warnings would see you off course. I had the luxury of simply returning to my previous RN trade.

You will have to maintain focus for a long time. Build a strong course bond and help each other and you should survive.

Good luck - the end justifies the long hours and continuous testing.

PS, the testing doesn't end when you leave training. Yearly standardisation checks are carried out so you never escape lectures!!!!!

Over-the-moon is an understatement. Have had the all clear from the aircrew medical gods and fit-to-fly. Only one ACMN intake per year so I've heard, my AFCO has mentioned a September entry date.
I have my medical next week so if it's all goes ok do you think I'd be likely to get in on that intake?

Also does anyone know if our FATs have to be valid on our entry date? I know they say they're only valid for a year?

Thanks

I have my medical next week so if it's all goes ok do you think I'd be likely to get in on that intake?

Also does anyone know if our FATs have to be valid on our entry date? I know they say they're only valid for a year?

Thanks
Unlikely sorry to say. I've now been hinted by my AFCO for a Jan 2018 intake, it'll be three years of waiting by that point... commitment or what? Will be worthwhile.

From what I've heard, once you pass FATs you pass them for good. But not 100% on this.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Unlikely sorry to say. I've now been hinted by my AFCO for a Jan 2018 intake, it'll be three years of waiting by that point... commitment or what? Will be worthwhile.

From what I've heard, once you pass FATs you pass them for good. But not 100% on this.

Ah ok. Guess I'll find out haha!
Yeh it's a long process. My FATs I took last April so I'm starting to worry that they might run out? As its now over a year just.
I know the aircrew medical last for 3 years if you pass it. But I've heard that everything has to be in date for when they give you a start date. Who knows haha

If it's of any use to anyone, rang admiralty and very helpfully responded, FATs (if passed) are valid for good. If you are serving already it is 12 months.

My son has just found out he's passed his Aircrew medical for Aircrewman. Next stop PRNC. He's just been told to keep the fitness up but not to cancel any summer holiday plans as it won't be imminent.

Booked on for an Air Acquaint Course on the 3rd-6th of October. Anyone know what the course contents is? All I know for the moment is that I am travelling down to Redruth. Opportunity for a flight??? :cool:

It will probably include several briefs, survival equipment drills, a visit to the Merlin simulator and a flight in a Merlin Mk 2 (hopefully). It will definately include a chance to take the RNFT! There will also be ample opportunity to chat to the current Aircrewman on course. Make the most of it and take the opportunity to ask all the questions that the AFCO can't answer for you. It is not pass or fail and is very much an acquaint, however good aptitude and attitude will be recognised. If you haven't decided which route to pursue, ASW or CDO, this will be the time to find out. Expect the briefs to be predominantly ASW.

Have a good time.

My son has finally been given a date and will be off to Raleigh January 2019!

He has to pass another medical, fitness test, update his security clearance and be successful at PRNC first mind ;)

I think the 3 years wait since interview shows commitment if nothing else.

Last edited:
My son has finally been given a date and will be off to Raleigh January 2019!

He has to pass another medical, fitness test, update his security clearance and be successful at PRNC first mind ;)

I think the 3 years wait since interview shows commitment if nothing else.
Weldon to your son, good luck with his chosen career.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@Ninja_Stoker Do you know when the next Aircrewman intakes are? I've now heard of a few people getting January 2019 dates, but I was told to expect an intake date of March 2019?
Currently on leave so unable to check but it's a small branch with few intakes.

My guess is if you were told at Cranwell when you passed FATs/IAME, the next Aircrewman course was in March, then that would tie-in with a January start at HMS Raleigh for the 10 weeks initial training.

Whether there are places available in March I don't know, but since so few get past selection I'd hope you are in with a chance if only waiting for a start date and otherwise good to go.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
FATs remain valid regardless. The IAME is, I think, valid one year but unless things change, if you've passed one, no reason to believe you won't pass another. I think there are intakes in Sept, Jan and April (or May). If someone is unable to join on one intake, they'll just offer up the place to the next person on the list based on date order of passing the recruit test. I don't have visibility of specific dates unfortunately but will ask the question.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@jm345 Spoken to the guy who allocates the courses. Good news and bad.

All places are now filled to March 2019. There are 20 training places between April 2019 and April 2020 ....and 21 people who have got as far as passing IAME so far. Places will be allocated in date order applications were submitted, not merit-based on FATs scores.

Those not already given a provisional entry date will be notified between Sept-Dec this year. As ever, the message is don't give up employment or education until you have a job offer. Not wishing to be a prophet of doom but it is a very small branch and there are a surplus of applicants due to the popularity of the role. The RAF calls the shots on the training places available and this can be adjusted periodically.

If anyone has any Q's regarding any of the process so far, let me know. I've finally got my AV med at Henlow & groundschool next month at Shawbury, but I've been in holdover for a while after finishing my two weeks streaming course and aircrewmans interview board (I'm going pinger, so eventually down to Culdrose:cool:). Patience is a virtue! The courses clearly still have teething issues as theyre adjusting it, what seems like, daily.

If anyone has any Q's regarding any of the process so far, let me know. I've finally got my AV med at Henlow & groundschool next month at Shawbury, but I've been in holdover for a while after finishing my two weeks streaming course and aircrewmans interview board (I'm going pinger, so eventually down to Culdrose:cool:). Patience is a virtue! The courses clearly still have teething issues as theyre adjusting it, what seems like, daily.
Thanks Subbers, yeah I've got loads!
How long did it take you to get in, from applying to Raleigh?
After finishing Raleigh on the Friday, was it straight to Shawbury on the Monday?
How much choice was there for which way you wanted to be streamed?
Are you enjoying it? Anything you wished you had known before
Thanks

Latest Threads