Royal NAVY AIRCREWMAN Medical

Revrevin

Are the medicalsfor Royal navy pilots the same as any role for the medical test, or is there anything different, I looked at the navy air crew website, it stated that 'having asthma symptoms within the last 4 years disqualifies me from joining'. This is great, but recently someone told me that the medical test for RN Aircrew role are the same as RAF where it states that Any history with asthma disqualifies you. Is this true or is this just a scare?

Waspie

War Hero
Are the medicalsfor Royal navy pilots the same as any role for the medical test, or is there anything different, I looked at the navy air crew website, it stated that 'having asthma symptoms within the last 4 years disqualifies me from joining'. This is great, but recently someone told me that the medical test for RN Aircrew role are the same as RAF where it states that Any history with asthma disqualifies you. Is this true or is this just a scare?
In a word - Yes.
Aircrew medicals are different. Very in depth. ECG EEG's etc. They even measure the amount of fat you carry. It probably carries the biggest failure rate when commencing the aptitude tests. You can be the cleverest individual and pass every test you can train for but you have no control over what you have inside you.
For example, when my group of candidates had their aircrew medical, out of some 35 started and only 12 came out the other side!!! We were informed our course had a high pass rate!!!!

As for the validity of the information you were 'told'. Best advice - go to a AFCO, (Armed Forces Careers Office), and get the true story from them. Only they are qualified to advise you on what is and what isn't allowed.

Revrevin

are they very strict with asthma, lets say worse case scenario i failed my medical test due to previous history of asthma, is there any chance my appeal is succesful i know its a hard thing to answer as everyone is different, but the only issue i have is my past history of asthma which i never really knew i had until 3 years ago where the doctor told me, i havent used inhalers or any sterioidal medication. This has put me in a loop, i just finished college and i really want to get into the RN with everything in check

thanks

Waspie

War Hero
are they very strict with asthma, lets say worse case scenario i failed my medical test due to previous history of asthma, is there any chance my appeal is succesful i know its a hard thing to answer as everyone is different, but the only issue i have is my past history of asthma which i never really knew i had until 3 years ago where the doctor told me, i havent used inhalers or any sterioidal medication. This has put me in a loop, i just finished college and i really want to get into the RN with everything in check

thanks
No one on an unofficial naval forum can answer that!! Only the medical team at Capita and naval doctors could answer that for you!

Lewys2003

Badgeman

thanks
Hey @Revrevin
I just went through the process of trying to become an Officer Observer and unfortunately was turned away due to me having a history of Asthma. I then appealed and was asked to complete a "Peak Flow Test".
After PASSING the Peak Flow Test, I was then told NO.

This is due to the Royal Navy not believing I can the Aircrew Medical, which I completely understand as it's a demanding role.

I then tried to apply to be an Aircrewman and it was also rejected due to my history of Asthma again.

I have now been asked to transfer my role to Air Traffic Control Officer (Not my ideal role),
But what I think the funny thing is, I now have to sit the Aircrew Medical to become an ATCO!!!

Basically to sum it up, with my experience of this...

NO, you can't join as an Aircrewman, Pilot, or Observer.

Hope this helps.